Equipment;
Savage model 111
Bushnell 10x50 binos
Spotting scope
A good pair of boots
Water

Here's a little glimpse into my once in a lifetime hunt at White Sands Missle Range.
The hunt started off traveling to a grazing spot many oryx are known to visit. At first, only 4 were seen at about 800yds, all bulls, 2 with broken horns and 2 with a full rack. Kept glassing, and saw 10 more about 100yds beyond the first set. Panned up and to the left, and saw 30+more,,a big heard with cows, bulls and little ones mixed in!! Panned to the left again, and saw a hunter making a stalk about 200yds from my game,,,$H!T!!! >

Pulled out of the area and respected the fact that another hunter just got there and acted before i had a chance to.

Drove 10miles or so, and came upon a high point about 100yds off the trail, stopped the truck, and decided that was a good spot to set up shop n glass for a while. After about 5min. of glassing, my buddy spotted the back end of an oryx,, bedded down and just visible behind a lot of brush, and approx 2 miles away(spotting scope of course). I starting walking.

Got within 900yds of the bedded bull, and saw 2 more sets of horns,, unfortunatly, there was a huge low point that had to be crossed in order to get into range, and the wind was WRONG,,very WRONG- :-\-no way it could be done. This was a batchlor group of bulls. I pulled back out of that area after orienting myself with certian land features, got back to the truck, and made a huge circle behind the group of bedded bulls,,about 3 miles behind.

The flat landscape with very subtle rolling shrubby hills made judging distance VERY decieving,,but the stalk was on. The wind kept shifting and swirling with every step taken. Every 100yds, had to stop, glass and check wind again and make sure we were on the rite track. 1 low ridge crossed, turned into 2, and so on and so on, until i had to tell myself,, "these boys are here and bedded,, nothing spooked them, and i pulled out on the other side undetected!!" The distances were very decieving!!

The wind picked up again,, directly into my face,,a perfect wind, the sun was directly behind me, a perfect sun. Came to the next rise next to a land feature i'd seen from far far away,, and started grining like a little schoolgirl,,i was VERY close now. Peeked my head over the next rise behind a mesquete bush, and 2 bulls were standing there, both facing away from me,,the larger one quartering away to the left--neither of wich had a CLUE i was now staring at them through a mildot scope fitted ontop of one of the finest high power rifle rounds ever made,, the 30-06 with a 180grain barnes XXX bullet

The larger Bull took a hit on the shuolder while quarterin away,, dropped in his tracks. Heart in 2 pieces,,shoulder and lungs in many pieces,, with an exit hole on the opposite side the size of a 50cent piece! One happy Marine ;D After the shot, 3 other bulls stood up and ran, but my trophy of a lifetime was in the bag!

I do a He11 of a lot of shooting, and just have some general advise to give,, take it or leave it. Magnum cartrages are a waste of powder and money. Know your rifle, get to the range, and place your shot with a good bullet. Time to get back to my oryx fajitas hahaha :) Hope you enjoyed the story,,,sorry, i'm a Marine, not a writer.
Sgt.P.USMC (AirSupport,PMI,Triggerpuller)