Thread: 220 volts

220 volts

I could not help but notice that almost everything that is offered in reloading equipment in 110 volt is also offered in 220 volt, It must be me but I have never said to myself I wish this tumbler had more amps, and I can't imagine the demand is even close to configure a whole entire line can someone enlighten me?
    Thanks Dean
    ps I could not find any other section to put this under.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Re: 220 volts

220 volt items are usually made for export to countries that use the 220/50 cycle like Germany and a few eastern European countries. Using a 220 set up in the US usually allows the item to last longer and has more power.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

a lot of the time they will run cheaper also.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    True, but all the really cool toys are 3 phase ;D :P
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

wapaloose

All you have to do is build a 3 phase converter, It's real easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    True, but all the really cool toys are 3 phase ;D :P
    yes they are! and 3 phase converters are supposed to be easy, but I have seen some quirks with them until you get everything set up.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

If memory serves me right (been over 30 years since i was last overseas), the plugs even for 220 were at least at that time just a simple 2 prong plug and not what we consider a 220 plug here in the states. If anyone has been across the pond more recently feel free to correct me on the current type of plug used. My experience was in Spain, Greece and Italy so it is possible that the British Isles use a different plug.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I was stationed in the United Kingdom. They use 240/50. The plugs are humongous affairs with fuses in the plug and three flat prongs, almost as big as our 220 plug. Germany in the late 60s used a small round prong plug with no ground.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I have 240 3 phase power in my garage direct from the pole. No noisy phase converter . It's nice to have if I ever get a lathe or a bridgeport. My Square wave Tig welder is single phase so no probelm powering it. The old Miller DC welder I had was 3 phase.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Must be a Euro thing.

But it is lower amps. Remember Power=VoltsXAMPS. Same power with 220v-2phase means less amperage which means less heat, usually and things can last longer. Not really any cheaper to run, except for the heat lost in the 110v config.

Yes, 3phase is where all the cool stuff is, but thats a whole other topic.

Basic Member

yep the higher the volts the lower the amp draw .

Basic Member

That's true but is also phase specific.

flashhole

110 volts is generated phase to ground from a 220 volt feed line, 220 volts is phase to phase with equal but opposite half cycles of AC operation. There is no 220 volts phase to ground. Phase will not cause more or less efficient opperation, it's simply the method used to generate the voltage. Power is power (volt amps) and 100 watts of power developed from a 110 volt circuit will generate the same amount of heat as 100 watts of power developed from a 220 volt circuit. Motors are constructed differently for the specific voltage feed you have access to. In the US we have 110 VAC as standard wall power. In Europe and other countries their standard is 220 VAC. It is not difficult to bring a 220 volt circuit out of your main breaker box if you know what you are doing. If you are like me, you build long extension cords to run your welder and change out the plug to match the wife's clothes dryer. Not the ideal set up but it works.