Thread: Rifle Basix Trigger

twopopper

Rifle Basix Trigger

Installed a Rifle Basix trigger on my .223 axis today! Set it at 1.5# pull. Love the feel of this trigger over the factory trigger, makes it a much better gun to shot, and also improved accuracey. Can't wait to get to a range this spring to shoot off a good rest. -20 degrees here so that will be awhile!!

Senderofan

Re: Rifle Basix Trigger

Which model trigger did you put in? I've got a SAV-2 in my BVSS...I've got mine set @ 1.5-2 pounds. Really a nice trigger and glad I installed it on my rifle. I tried to work with the lighter spring but had a lot of problems with slam fires when testing the set up. Hope you didn't experience that? Not to knock Rifle Basix about it...just need folks to be aware.

Wayne

twopopper

I installed the sav-1 trigger, Only problem I had was after installing trigger exactly as instructions showed, I would touch trigger and it would fire,did not try to slam fire. Once I got trigger set to 1.5# I tried to get it to slam fire but it has not! This being the first time I have ever installed my own trigger, I plan on being extremely carefull in handling untill I know for sure there are no issues.

Senderofan

Yours is a different trigger than what I installed....I would still cycled the bolt ....like you might for a follow up shot while hunting. Mine would occasionally release the firing pin when manipulating the safety as well as a moderate cycling of the bolt. I did all of these with an empty chamber. Just want to make sure all is well before you start using your upgrades :). I've been thoroughly pleased with my new trigger....and have a very high level of trust that it will function properly...once I installed the correct spring and adjusted it.

Enjoy!

Wayne

lockwoodjohn

Hi Everyone,
    I would like to change my stock trigger to a rifle basix trigger. Can the average Joe do this or should I have a rifle smith do it?
    Also does the After market trigger work well with no problems. Never changed a trigger before, Just a little gun shy (no pun intended)

Thank You
    Lockwood John

twopopper

I put mine in myself. Install was easy, getting it ajusted properly was time consuming. If your not to sure of doing it I would get a gunsmith to do it.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by lockwoodjohn

Hi Everyone,
    I would like to change my stock trigger to a rifle basix trigger. Can the average Joe do this or should I have a rifle smith do it?
    Also does the After market trigger work well with no problems. Never changed a trigger before, Just a little gun shy (no pun intended)

Thank You
    Lockwood John
    Depends on which model you put in. I've installed one on my Remmy...piece of cake. Then I put the SAV-2 in my BVSS...not so easy...but I understood that I would probably not be able to use the lighter of the two springs....there's a white one and a red one. Anyway...the lighter one...I was not able to rectify all the misfire issues. Close the bolt any quicker or firmer than slow and gentle...I would get a slam fire. Also at certain points...manipulating the safety caused a firing...as well as a mild setting down on the butt on a solid surface. I put the heavier spring in...and I'm at 2 pounds or so....it works flawlessly...there's no uptake or creep.....just a really great trigger. I've also upgraded two 93 17hmr rimfires with RifleBasix triggers and that has been an excellent upgrade.

Take your time....test, test, test to make sure you have a safe rifle. If you feel uncertain...take it to a competent gunsmith. I enjoy the tinkering myself....but then again I work on most of my pistol triggers to tune them up.

Wayne

twopopper

The Sav-1 trigger is the only trigger from Rifle Basix that will work on the the Edge/Axis. That's what Rifle Basix told me when I ordered mine.

yooper14

I put the Sav-1 trigger in an Axis .223 about a month ago. It was easy to follow the instructions, and believe me when I say I am not a talented gunsmith. The only thing I found odd is that if I set the overtravel screw so that it worked as intended, then I could not remove the bolt using the usual procedure. In order to remove the bolt as Savage intended, I had to take the barreled action off the stock again, back off the overtravel screw, and then reassemble. That allows normal bolt removal. The trigger pull is excellent - greatly improved. This may be the single best investment a person can make in making these guns a better shooter. The original trigger, at least mine, was really nasty.