Thread: No Barrel Nut

Basic Member

No Barrel Nut

I bought a 110 LA that had been rebarreled and chambered for the 17-225 Winchester cartridge.
    I want to rebarrel this rifle for 7mm BR, and have contacted McGowen at Savage-Barrels.com, and they tell me that they can make one for me. (I have the reamer from a previous project.)
    I have tried empty 7BR cases in the rifle and they appear to feed, but the replacement barrel has no barrel nut, so my question is:
    just what kind of trouble do you think I may have in fitting the new barrel?
    Thanks for your reply.

Re: No Barrel Nut

If they make the new barrel for the use of a barrel nut you will just need to install it like any other Savage. If you want the new one to also not use a nut, then you'll need to send them your action to set the headspace(which will cost extra of course).
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by wch
    have contacted McGowen at Savage-Barrels.com,
    McGowen is a Suppler, Savage barrels is a retailer. There not the same entity
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

82boy

If the new barrel is shoulder and doesn't use a nut then you have to have it fit by a gun smith.

Basic Member

FYI, Savage-Barrels.com is owned and run by McGowenBarrel.com.
    They sell only savage prefits on this site.

Basic Member

Thanks for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by wch
    FYI, Savage-Barrels.com is owned and run by McGowenBarrel.com.
    They sell only savage prefits on this site.
    Really, I thought Dan left them and started his own co selling barrels. Hard to follow all the corp twist and turns sometimes.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

The other thing to look out for is when the shouldered barrel was put on was the receiver rethreaded to take a different size barrel shank such as a remington shank.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member

Good point, Earl39, I'll measure before I order!

Basic Member

You don't have to send it to a gunsmith to fit a shouldered barrel. If you study up on the procedure and get the right tools, it isn't that hard. Remingont barrel shank is the same size as the Savage but with courser/deeper threads. I doubt it could be converted to Remington threads but may be wrong.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    You don't have to send it to a gunsmith to fit a shouldered barrel. If you study up on the procedure and get the right tools, it isn't that hard.
    How do you figure? Shouldered barrel is either headspaced correctly or not. Either have to cut some shoulder off or rechamber if short.

Team Savage

+1 As mentioned above.
    You rough chamber the barrel slightly short, mount the barrel and finish ream it in the action.

If the chamber is long then you have to set back the barrel and maybe rethread it.

Why you would rather do that is beyond me.

Go for the nut.

If later you change the recoil lug then you start over again.
    Nutless barrel to me is sort of like do it once, and dont touch the rifle for years and just shoot it.

Basic Member

I thought he was talking about having another shouldered barrel made. That's what I was referring to. You can have a barrel short chambered and do the rest yourself. You need a depth micrometer, finishing reamer, and headspace gauges. If he's talking about using the existing barrel then yeah he'll need to send it to a gunsmith. I agree going with the nut is the easiest, was just merely stating if he wanted a shouldered barrel he could get one short chambered and do it himself. It's really nothing to be afraid of.

Basic Member

Get some nuts, it is our nuts that make us different!
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

nsaqam

I greatly prefer a nutless Savage over a nutted one but I do have a lathe in my basement too.

Basic Member

"Get some nuts, it is our nuts that make us different!"

Agreed. That's one of the big reasons to have a Savage. I prefer the nut as well but was just stating that if he wanted a shouldered barrel that can be done too without a gunsmith provided he gets a short chambered barrel. I've done it to my Ruger M77 MKII but with my Savages I like using the nut. Makes it simpler and faster.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    I greatly prefer a nutless Savage over a nutted one but I do have a lathe in my basement too.
    You neuter your rifles?

:P What about using shims to adjust a pre-shouldered barrel
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    You neuter your rifles?

:P What about using shims to adjust a pre-shouldered barrel
    If you buy a nutless barrel from someone you need to get the recoil lug he used and then you'll very likely headspace perfectly.
    I've fit dozens of Rem 700 takeoff barrels and nearly every one headspaced perfectly. Savages are the same way provided you have a good lug.