Thread: Ross Featherweight Thumbhole Replacement Stocks

TPB12345

Ross Featherweight Thumbhole Replacement Stocks

Anyone have any experiance with this stock from Boyds, thinking about picking one up. I want a thumb through and this one looks good and has a nice price tag. Thanks everyone.

Re: Ross Featherweight Thumbhole Replacement Stocks

I got one a nutmeg Rodd FT stock few months back for a 110 I had; had to do a little sanding in the barrel channel to ensure a free float but other than that I was quite pleased with the fit/finish and appearance. It really made an old tired rifle look sharp.

TPB12345

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to order one and I'll see how I like it. I wasn't really looking for a featherweight stock so If I like it, I may glass bed the action and get the gunsmith to add some weights or something to help soak up some recoil. Thanks BoilerUp!

tenwalker

I have a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole on 2 Rem 700's (ADL) and they fell right in and I just had them glass bedded. They fit great. My PD hunting buddie has one on a Savage and one on a Rem. 700 and the just bolted right up.

MDHOGGER

I recently was looking at this stock too. Is it true that there is enough room available in the barrel channel to install a typical Savage varmint contour barrel. If so would it look out of proportion in this featherweight stock or would sporter weight barrels be more appropriate.

MDHOGGER

It would be great to hear from anyone whether these stocks barrel channel will handle a Savage varmint contour barrel. I would hate to buy one and find there is not enough wood left on the sides leaving a sharp edge. Anyone?

tenwalker

Call Boyds and ask.

MDHOGGER

In the end if I have to call Boyds to get my questions answered I will. Though since I see that people on this board have purchased this stock I would rather get first hand unbias input on my question. Depending on the company and who you get on the phone sometimes the information is less than satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHOGGER
    In the end if I have to call Boyds to get my questions answered I will. Though since I see that people on this board have purchased this stock I would rather get first hand unbias input on my question. Depending on the company and who you get on the phone sometimes the information is less than satisfactory.
    I'm in the middle of an online MBA class...I'll walk down to the safe and look in a bit.

The diameter of a 22" factory .270 sporter barrel at the very end of the stock is 0.71" measured on my dial calipers; the same area on a 26" 12FV varmint barrel is 0.96".

You could make it work, but after sanding the barrel channel to free float a heavy barrel you likely wouldn't have a whole lot of stock left on either side of the barrel channel.

I'll post pictures shortly.

Basic Member

I have seen 2 that have been done and personally I wouldn't do it... there's not enough material left for my liking
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Savage 110 w/ factory 22" .270 Win sporter barrel, Boyd Featherweight Thumbhole nutmeg stock:

[img width=299 height=450]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/avboiler11/IMG_7025.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=399]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/avboiler11/IMG_7019.jpg[/img]

There is approx. 0.2" of wood on either side of the barrel channel. The big negative for modifying this stock for a varmint barrel IMO is how the fore end tapers inward from the action (you can see it in the top picture), providing lower weight but also less material for removal.

The Boyd's website does say "The forend is proportioned to complement barrels from 21 inches to 25 inches in length nicely and will accommodate barreled actions with Standard sporter contour barrels, and larger barrels up to a tapered varmint design can be inlet in these stocks"...

MDHOGGER

BoilerUP thanks for taking the time to take pictures and measurements to answer my questions. I found in measuring a few of my stocks with heavier contoured barrels that there was approx. .175 to .200" of flat stock area outside the barrel side at the end of the forearm. With this stock there would only be about .075" remaining with the Savage Varmint contour. It would be doable for the Savage Varmint contour barrel but not typical of whats found on most stocks. Therefore probably not the best look. Maybe in the end this stock would be best for up to heavy sporter contour barrels or lighter varmint barrels. I will do some measuring and look at some contours and consider my options. Thanks again!