Thread: Sightmark Scopes....Buyer Beware

Basic Member

Sightmark Scopes....Buyer Beware

Just had a disappointing phone conversation with Michael on Sightmark Scopes tech line. A little over a year ago I bought the first Sightmark scope that I have owned from a dealer that already had the scope mounted on a rifle (110 25-06 varmint contour in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock) I bought as a package deal. It was the 8.5x25x50 tactical model. I took it home, sighted it in, and didn't shoot it much, maybe 30 to 50 rounds. The scope worked fine. This last November, hunting season rolls around and I decided to pull the large heavy Sightmark and install a smaller lighter scope. After season, I reinstalled the scope and attempted to sight it in. Notice I said attempted. The elevation turret works great. The windage turret no longer moves the cross hair left or right. So, I call Sightmark and they say that since I have no proof of purchase I am pretty much on my own on this thing, which by the way they admit is a fairly common factory defect that this scope has. I can't blame them, I should have asked for the box and paperwork when I bought it, but didn't. That's my fault. It's been so long since I have had a scope fail, that I really just don't expect to need the warranty. I know, real dumb. They did offer to sell me another scope at dealer cost, but I would have to ship my scope to them and then pay shipping back on the replacement scope and by the time it's all said and done I could order one from Opticsplanet.com for about the same cost (actually a couple of bucks cheaper since they have free shipping and I was going to have two way shipping on the deal from Sightmark). Anyway, Sightmark may make a fine scope, but I will probably never know since my first experience with their scope ended in failure. If you purchase a scope from Sightmark or any maker for that matter, do yourself a favor and send in the proper paperwork to get the warranty registration. If not, it could cost you later down the road. And maybe not all that far down the road. Most of the time you get what you pay for, but without proper registration, you won't even get that.
    JR

Re: Sightmark Scopes....Buyer Beware

get your dealer involved!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Re: Sightmark Scopes....Buyer Beware

Mueller scopes are the same. No proof of purchase, your on your own. Vortex on the other hand doesn't require any proof of purchase, has great customer service and fast turn around on repairs. From the day I shipped my Vortex for repair to the day I got it back was 10 days.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67