Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choate Tactical Stock

Varget 7-08

Choate Tactical Stock

Anybody have one of these? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=761001 I really want a rifle with a DBM so that's important to me, otherwise I would go with the B&C Medalist, any reviews would be greatly appreciated!

Basic Member

Re: Choate Tactical Stock

It is a decent stock. Pretty much a drop in fit. I had to remove a little material around the tang but that was it. It's comfortable but a little on the heavy side as most tactical stock are. For the money it is hard to do any better. Check the thread link below for a pic on mine and my 260 build.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,32947.0.html

leftyboy

I have one, in fact just got it last week directly from Choate. Its on a 16fhss .243 and dropped in without a single bit of trimming. Mine is the bottom door model and they make the direct fit for it.

curt

The Ultimate Varmint is a better stock than the Ultimate Sniper for riding the bags in my opinion. Their both really heavy though.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Varget 7-08

Quote Originally Posted by rinodods
    It is a decent stock. Pretty much a drop in fit. I had to remove a little material around the tang but that was it. It's comfortable but a little on the heavy side as most tactical stock are. For the money it is hard to do any better. Check the thread link below for a pic on mine and my 260 build.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,32947.0.html
    I'm planning to build a .260 too! I ordered the barrel Wednesday and will order the stock next paycheck, thanks for the link!

Does anyone know what the weight of the stock is? Everything I've read always reference's it being a heavy stock, but Choate doesn't list weight on their website.

Basic Member

3 LBS 11 OZS.mark25-06

mine is suppose to come in thursday cant wait to mess with it. has anyone bedded there choate?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    The Ultimate Varmint is a better stock than the Ultimate Sniper for riding the bags in my opinion. Their both really heavy though.
    I know the stippling on the UV is rally harsh on your hands, not too bad with gloves though.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

ironheadmike81

My Choate Tactical was a a drop in and go except I am using a target action, so
    in order to keep the middle screw in play, I had to bed a pillar for it. Fun and easy.
    I think it is the most stock for the money of that style, and the high cheek piece
    by them is cheap, works, and my bolt still comes out no problem.
    I painted it super easily also, the pics are at the end of the Stock Painting Tips
    post it in this category. Love this stock!

Varget 7-08

Dang, looks great Ironhead! Thanks for the review?

got my choate stock today and feels real nice. now i just need all my parts to get in so i can build my gun and see how this shoots.

Finish can be very sharp and uncomfortable to your hand. I took 150 grit paper to take the sharp edges off mine on the grip area and it made a world of difference.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

has anyone done the work to make there blind magazine work in this stock?

i am debating about once i get my gun done if i want to paint it or not i have been looking at dura coat.

Varget 7-08

Calib I got my stock in on Monday and I really like it, heavy but not too heavy. I can't decide to paint it or not either, I'm thinking of having it painted tan with black webbing.

that sounds good i have thought of a light olive green tactical look but maybe with some other added to it. look up duracoat rifle painting on google and look at the pics of other guns done

Basic Member

I have one on my 308 winter build and one on a long action 6.5creedmoor. They are a bit heavy. Make sure you check to see if the barrel is even in the barrel channel. One of mine lets the barrel set a little to the left in the channel. It's okay because I plan on bedding it, and its on the 6.5 and I havent shot it much because everyone is out of the hornady match ammo (and I dont reload, yet). The SA stock I have is perfect, and I had planned on bedding it, but the rifle is shooting right at 1/2" at 100 when I do my part, so I am not going to worry about bedding right now. These stocks are a PITA to paint. I had to sand both of mine multiple times and then use an adhesion promoter primer to get paint to stick. Anyway, here's a pic of the 308 short action stevens in the choate after painting.
    [img width=600 height=400]http://i51.tinypic.com/vwva79.jpg[/img]

2gaurd
    when you do your bedding would you post some pics. i am also thinking of bedding mine once all the assembling is done especialy if it doesnt shoot the way i want it to.

what paint did you use?

did you ever stripp it with alcohol or anything before you painted?

Basic Member

Yes, initially I used kleenstrip and then wiped it down with denatured alcohol. Primed and painted as I always do, and paint and primer came off very, very easily. Then I sanded (a lot), wiped down with acetone, then denatured alcohol, the a tack cloth and painted and primed. Piant looked to stick better, but came off again when I started to peel the stencils off. Stripped everything off again, sanded some more, and wiped down with acetone. Then my brother gave me some adhesion promoting primer for plastics in a spray can from an autobody shop where he lives. He had used is on a bumper and had some left. I sprayed two coats of this on it and painted the camo. Still had some small areas I touched up with a brush, but the adhesion promoter helped 100%. Another guy said that PPG also makes some adhesion promoter for plastics and he had used it on composite stocks.
    For paint I use Krylon and Rustoleum, have used it on many stocks with great results, until I ran into the choates I have. I also shot a couple of coats of satin clear over everything to help seal it, and I like a little sheen on my stocks.

got my build nearly done check it out in photo section called 1st custom build

Ring31

i u want to save some weight, get the folder, its about the same cost right from Choate ..

calling4life

Anyone know of a good way to attach an accushot monopod?

I've seen a chunk of pic. Rail that simply screws into the stock, but there is no way that will hold up to use, GAP won't mess with it.

Anyone have any ideas, or use an accushot mono on their choate?

Ring31

Quote Originally Posted by calling4life
    Anyone know of a good way to attach an accushot monopod?

I've seen a chunk of pic. Rail that simply screws into the stock, but there is no way that will hold up to use, GAP won't mess with it.

Anyone have any ideas, or use an accushot mono on their choate?
    look at the bottom ove mine... thats what i have, 2, 2" wood screws, and has never budged...

Basic Member

I have the choate tactical with the adjustable buttstock and adjustable comb. Its more money around $500.00 but what a stock I have it on a fcpk .308.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast