Thread: Creating a Savage target Pistol from a 93r17

leftyboy

Creating a Savage target Pistol from a 93r17

I have the chance to pick up a new Savage 93R17 heavy barrel at a great price and was wondering if I could make a target pistol with it on the order of the Savage Striker but 17hmr caliber.

I have worked with wood the better part of my life and can convert one of the non finished commercial made stocks that fit the 93 to a pistol footprint with no problems.

My question is can I have the barrel shortened to say 12" or so? Will a gunsmith do that and not be breaking the law? Since it would be used as a target pistol I hope so!!

How much will the range/accuracy be effected by this? I know 18" barrels are some of the most accurate for the 17hmr load. Since this is a 21" barrel shortening it to 12 would mean the removal of 9".

Comments are appreciated.

Curt

Basic Member

Re: Creating a Savage target Pistol from a 93r17

Was the receiver originally a rifle? If so, then you can not legally turn it into a pistol (I'm fairly certain). It either has to have been a pistol or an undesignated receiver (never built as pistol or rifle) in order to be legal as a pistol. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

Cycler

You cannot legally convert a firearm originally registered as a rifle into a pistol. It would be classified as a "short barreled rifle" and fall under the NFA provisions. The barrel must remain over 16" and the overall length at least 26".

This would be a Federal offence and you DON'T want to have to deal with the BATF.

Basic Member

your best bet would be to call Inquire with Savage about getting a non-barreled "virgin" receiver, second option would be to call/write the ATF& request guidance. be prepared to be inundated with gibberish.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

machinisttx

The short answer is no, unless you want to pay ATF $200 and do some paperwork to be legal. The law says that a pistol can be made into a rifle, but a rifle can't be made into a pistol without going through the hassle above.

If you're really set on doing it, you'll need two copies of ATF "Form 1, Application to Make and Register", along with passport photos, fingerprint cards, certificate of compliance, and a chief law enforcement officer who is willing to sign the paperwork. You'll have to mail the completed forms, photos, $200, etc. to the ATF and wait a few months. When they send back the approved form with canceled tax stamp affixed, you can legally chop the barrel to the length you specified on the form and put the barreled action in a pistol stock.

The National Firearms Act of 1934, along with the Gun Control Act of 1968 are suggested reading if you plan to modify firearms much and would like to remain legal.

leftyboy

machinist,
    GREAT info. Had no idea this was such a hassle. May in fact do it though since I need a project. The 200 bucks would add to the total but it is not a for sale item rather a huge fun factor for an old retired fart ;D

Basic Member

I would almost bet an unregistered receiver could be bought cheaper than the cost of the rifle+ the NFA tax &such
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Why don't you search for one of the old striker rimfire pistols?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    They made a rimfire striker? Cool!!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    They made a rimfire striker? Cool!!!
    Savage Model 50x

shaman

I am pretty sure that the strikers were made in .22LR, WMR, and HMR

There is the cricket too

http://www.crickett.com/crickett_hunterpistol.php

tinkerer

Right now on GB.

Larry
    Tinkerer

shaman

tinkerer, i didn't see one when i checked before my post. My search didn't turn one up. Got a link?

leftyboy

Just took delivery Friday on a 17 hmr cricket pistol, chrome with purple stock. A BEAUTIFUL thing indeed. Shot it Sat pm 100 rounds. It needs a scope for me to be successful but what a hoot to shoot!

curt

tinkerer

Shaman,

Sorry, lied to you.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/913594421...502_22_Mag.htm

Larry
    Tinkerer

Kelly