Thread: Get me looking at the right stuff

tropicmaster

Get me looking at the right stuff

I am going to have to get started re loading soon ( never done it, never even seen it done ). My ground up build is almost complete ( .308 ), and I plan on shooting factory for a month or two until I build up money again from the cost of the build. Once I get a reloading set up I want to get a switch barrel for .284. Are either of these two supposedly complete kits something I should be looking at?

Redding Boss Deluxe

Rock Chucker supreme master kit

Both supposedly have everything a new or even advanced reloader would need other than components and dies. I was thiking I would have to spend a good bit more money than this to even get started, so I hope these kits are something legit. Thoughts, alternatives, opinions ?

Thanks!

Basic Member

Re: Get me looking at the right stuff

I like the RCBS RC press....but I'm sure the redding is just fine too....

Dies.....can't go wrong with Forster BR seater/std neck die & FL die

Redding or Lee three pc set would be 2nd choice.....
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

dcloco

Either is very good.

My preference....

Forster CoAx press. Why? NO shell holders to buy. Set the die up once. Don't have to thread/unthread die for removal. Huge amount of leverage, if needed, for the big cases (more than a rock chucker, with less effort on your end). Near 0 runout of brass/loaded rounds. Primer catcher that actually works.

....and I have two rockchuckers set up beside the CoAx...just in case. :)

Acculab 123 digital scale AND a Hornady M scale (longest beam of all of the beam scales out there - more sensitive to weight change)

Forster case trimmer. Accurate, simple, and all of the accessories, which you WILL eventually buy, are 20-50% cheaper than any other brand.

Galveston22

I've got Forster dies and I'm happy with them. I'm using a Lee Classic Cast press that cost me $73. I got a used (classifieds here) Dillon beam scale that is very nice for $40. Then I have a Lee hand primer which is great. I've slowly added other trinkets that become necessary as you learn. Powder throw, bullet puller, electronic caliper, powder trickler, and then theres the little things...funnel, shell blocks, ammo holders, shell holders. I started with the basics and added as necessary but that RCBS kit is very good for the money. Most reloaders swear by Redding stuff, and as mentioned Forster makes good stuff.

tropicmaster

So other than brand preference either of these kits are sufficient for a beginner to reload basic ammo? I would not be doing anything fancy at first- just working up an accurate .308 load.

terrier

A second school of thought. All of the equipment listed above is absolutely first rate. You can argue the merits of one or the other for a long time. I will suggest a less expensive way to START. Get one of the Lee kits, add a set of dies and a trimmer and your set to go for a while. Yes, once you get into it and decide you like it then start investing in the more expensive stuff as needed or wanted. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=121744
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=148525
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=271467
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=476992

This list totals under $150.00 and gets you going.

Terrier

Basic Member

+1 on lee stuff, i got over $3000 worth of gear on my reloading bench and still use allot of lee stuff, 2 dillons, 2 rcbs's, but still got one lee in use yet too. i have used redding dies w/ no legitimate complaints, but still use allot of lee dies too, sometimes it pays to have several dies for the same caliber if you get beyond the basics, my high dollar dillon .223 die was "ringing" the 75gr bullets i was seating, i switched it out for a lee and the problem went away, so more expensive is not always better.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

firemachine69

Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit.

All you need is in there, save the actual dies and case trimmer.

Buy some a book on reloading (I prefer Richard Lee's Modern Reloading: Second Edition), some powder, bullets, and away you go!

Of course, this is assuming you've saved your brass.