Thread: Model 10 Precision Carbine barrel contour question

762X51

Model 10 Precision Carbine barrel contour question

I'm new to the world of Savage but finally saw the light. I ordered a Model 10 .308 Precision Carbine yesterday. I like .308 well enough but I have a hankering for something in .260. One of the features that drew me to the Savage design is the easily swapped barrels. My question is this; is the barrel taper for the Precision Carbine unique to that rifle? I understand it's shorter of course but is the taper the same as say the model 12 varmint models? Is there a list available that shows the various tapers offered by Savage. My hope is that I can get a .260 barrel that will fit the stock channel of the Precision Carbine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

82boy

Re: Model 10 Precision Carbine barrel contour question

Quote Originally Posted by 762X51
    My question is this; is the barrel taper for the Precision Carbine unique to that rifle?
    Yes, it is also shared on the 10 predator hunters.

I understand it's shorter of course but is the taper the same as say the model 12 varmint models?
    Nope it is smaller in diameter. It is in-between a varmiter and a sporter profile.

Is there a list available that shows the various tapers offered by Savage.
    Not that I know of. Basically the target action guns (12 F class, 12 benchrest, LRPV) have a heavier profile than the model 12 varminter (VLP, BVSS) and 10 tactical guns. (10FP) The predator hunter, and precision carbine have a smaller taper, then the sporter couture guns. Savage also had some Odd ball guns that broke the rules one that come in mind is the 12VSS, it has a taper close to the target action guns, but it was considered a varminter gun. I also think some of the magnum guns had a slightly bigger taper to the sporter contour.

My hope is that I can get a .260 barrel that will fit the stock channel of the Precision Carbine.
    well a few pieces of sandpaper, and something round, like a piece of 1 inch dowel rod will do the trick. you should be able to open it up to a standard Savage varminter profile, anything bigger and the stock might get a bit thin.

Many of the barrel manufactures offer a number of different profiles. Look at "Heavy Sporters" or "Light Varmints". I suspect those contours will be a close match to what you currently have.

jbrodie7

Well if it doesnt fit I would open up the barrel channel

hank440

If you want a 10 PC in .260 then just cancel your order for the .308 and reorder on in .260 like I did. All you have to do is call Effie Sutherland at Savage and tell her what you want and wait 2-4 weeks for it to show up at your FFL.

nomosendero

Quote Originally Posted by hank440
    If you want a 10 PC in .260 then just cancel your order for the .308 and reorder on in .260 like I did. All you have to do is call Effie Sutherland at Savage and tell her what you want and wait 2-4 weeks for it to show up at your FFL.
    What is the additional charge for this change.

hank440

you will have to call and ask as it all depends on what you want but it's not much more and it's cheaper than buying an aftermarket barrel ;D

Your precision carbine is almost identical to the remington light varminter. If your stock is plastic and an accustock,I would save the stock and try the .260 in it.If you have too,you can open the barrel channel and gunline makes several sizes tio accomadate the size of channel you need.Their tool is way easier to use than a waste of time with sand paper.If the accustock aluminum bedding wont allow this then get a hs precision or bell & carlson a-2 stock.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

nomosendero

Quote Originally Posted by hank440
    you will have to call and ask as it all depends on what you want but it's not much more and it's cheaper than buying an aftermarket barrel ;D
    OK, that's cool. I had heard the special order was automatically $200.00 more, but from what you are saying that is not the case.

vtbowhunter3

Can the custom shop build the precision carbine in .22-250?

ellobo

VT Bowhunter, I think the short barrel on the carbine would not be good for velocity of the 22-250. Not to mention the muzzleblast you would get. My 18 inch barreled 7x57 would light up the woods at dusk.

El Lobo

Hooz

Quote Originally Posted by vtbowhunter3
    Can the custom shop build the precision carbine in .22-250?
    The Model 10 Predator Hunter is basically the same gun as the 10 Precision Carbine (same barrel profile, etc) and it comes in 22-250. If you don't mind the camo, you could just buy one of those off the rack.