Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get Bolt Apart

MDHOGGER

Can't Get Bolt Apart

This is my first attempt at changing the bolt head and changing the bolt handle. I have the AGI video on disassembling the Savage Rifle and know it is a typical right hand thread. My problem is I can't loosen the bolt plug. I have tried some Kroil but you really can't get it to the bolt plug threads. What I thought would work was playing a heat gun on the plug to free up what I assume is loctite on the threads. I place the allen wrench in a vise and place bolt plug on it and then tapped the bolt handle with a plastic mallet. I didn't want to get too aggressive with the mallet. I also tried placing the bolt with allen wrench in the bolt plug and standing on it with my foot on the carpet. I need help!

Basic Member

Re: Can't Get Bolt Apart

First make sure you uncock the bolt. That will take some of the pressure off. Then I put my allen wrench in and set it on the floor (make sure its gonna go the right direction) and stomp on it.
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Team Savage

They are on tight from the factory but it will come apart.

Dont think they use locktight.

Basic Member

i left it in my gun had my lil brother hold the gun and i used a cheater on my allen wrench and alot of swearing its a real pain in the @$$ you just have to brute force it

MDHOGGER

I uncocked the bolt and tried again with no luck. Looks like the bolt sleeve move forward to maybe expose the bolt plug from the inside of the bolt body. I shot more Kroil inside and will let it soak for an hour or maybe overnight and apply more heat again. I have broke loose my fair share of regular nuts and bolts and this is a bear. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the responses so far.

Basic Member

slip a piece of pipe or a jack handle over your allen wrench for more leverage be careful though when mine broke free i almost smacked my brother in the face

Basic Member

Did you stand on it or stomp it? Sounded crazy to me buy I weigh 230lbs and standing on it didnt work for me
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Man I must be lucky, I have yet to have one I couldn't break free by hand. I just hold the bolt body in my left hand, and in a seated position I put the bolt handle against my right knee and push on the allen wrench with my right hand pushing the handle into my knee, pops every time.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Yep, stand on it with your full weight. You may even need to bounce on it.

I had one that was tough. I weigh 250 and it took all of it.

When it finally broke loose, it went with a bang. I thought I broke it.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Yeesh

What are you supposed to do with the old slotted screws? Impact driver?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Drag link sockets

Photo of Sears Craftsman brand

Basic Member

put it in a vise between 2 2x4s lock it down and put a cheater on the allen it took some muscle but is easily doable

You guys need to eat your Wheaties or some spinach. ;D

Best method for getting the BAS off is (as jglover and geargrinder noted) is to pull the bolt assembly and stand on it. I've never had to go that far, but use the same method on the work-bench to break the stubborn ones loose.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

good thing, cause your no where near 250#s
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

MDHOGGER

Finally got the bolt plug loose! First I went to Home Depot and bought a 18" length of 1/2" steel pipe for a cheater bar. Next I went over to my brothers who has a nice permanently mounted rubber padded jaw vise. I place the bolt handle in the vise jaws and then went at it with the allen wrench and cheater bar. I placed the bar against my hip and leaned up against the cheater bar. It took three attempts but it broke loose with a loud pop! I will work on my bolt head replacement and bolt handle swap latter today. This should be a piece of cake. Thanks for the suggestions.

Basic Member

no problem the cheater bar works great i never liked the thought of stomping on the bolt

MDHOGGER

Tim300wsm I am with you about not jumping on the bolt and allen wrench. I much rather hold the allen wrench steady and firm in the bolt plug recess and apply steady pressure. I think anyway with the way this bolt was holding firm that the cheater bar and vise was the only way to go.

Basic Member

the folks at savage dont mess around when they tighten stuff

Mhouser

Total noob question but how do you uncock the bolt or get the bolt out without it cocking the firing pin?

Mhouser

Nevermind. I figured it out.

The reason you stomp on the allen wrench is to shock the threads.It wont hurt it.I use an impact wrench and socket much like taking off stubborn wheel lug nuts.I also feel they use a scant amount of loctite on the threads at the factory. As long as you put the bolt handle against a piece of wood you can not bend the bolt body.You should be able to drive a car over it before it bends.This is one of the strongest parts on the rifle. I have used a steel hammer and whacked the allen wrench and actually have seen sparks come off the bolt shoulder.I feel they tighten these this tight,say around 150 ft lbs to stop people from being able to disaassemble them in the first place.It is a lawyer thing.If you go on the parts finder on savages web site and try to buy just the bolt,they wont even sell it to you because it is a resticted part.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member

The bolt assembly screws are installed with an impact wrench, not that they have to be that tight, it's just faster. They don't use loctite on any part of the rifle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bigcatdaddy

Hi guys
    just wanted to chime in my newbee 2 cents as well.

I broke a hex on my bolt nut. The other on was "rounded-over". Read this thread and decided a breaker bar would do fine. At hardware store, I told self..."why don't you stomp on it like post said to do...then fork out the dolars"? New hex with sharp edges was .79 cents. Had some liqid wrench at home. Doused it well, several hours later set it up in our bedroom for stomping. It has to be oriented right. Put my whole 280 lbs on it...nada. Wife is laughing her guts out. Gave it two bounces and "BANG"! I was sure I broke it...but it was just the sound of the nut suddenly loosening.

2 Cheers huraah for the suggestion to just stomp on it....and for less than a buck in parts!

I love this forum! Been nice to lurk awhile here. Converting my Savage short-action to a 7mm-08 target gun.

That bang is a scary sound the first time you hear it.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

11fcns

i remember seeing somewhere a very good step by step guide with pics of taking a Savage bolt apart. i plan on getting a new bolt handle and would like to replace it myself. reading this thread i've got bits and pieces but would like step by step with photos. any help? thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast