Thread: Help with modifications to a Stagger Feed magazine.

Junfan

Help with modifications to a Stagger Feed magazine.

I am looking for ideas(pictures) of a modified Savage stagger feed magazine and follower. I have a Savage 12FV originally chambered in .223 that is now a .223AI that loves 75gr Amax bullets. Does anybody have pictures or a tutorial on how to remove the spacer in the magazine and needed modifications to the follower to allow the 75gr Amax seated to 2.460 to fit and feed reliably? I attempted to order a mag and follower for a stagger feed in .243 to modify but that fell through. Now looking to modify what I have.

Junfan

Re: Help with modifications to a Stagger Feed magazine.

Any help would be appreciated, my Savage feeds horribly. The only bullet that feeds reliably is the 50gr BT. The 75gr Amax shoots lights out and I would like ut figure a way to use these .

cut the spacer out and use your .243 follower to fill the length.
    this might also help.

tapered feed cone like the AR15s use, to give the barrel a chance to direct the round in
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey
    I attempted to order a mag and follower for a stagger feed in .243 to modify but that fell through.
    Are you indicating that you did not order/receive one, or that it did not function?

Junfan

I ordered one and never recieved the product. I am going to contact Savage monday and order a follower. I removed the spacer on my existing mag this morning and added an "extender" to my follower to take up the space. It does not work all that well, the issue is with the 75gr Amax, they don't hit the hole correctly and have to be started by hand. A larger taper would help but I would hate to tear this rifle down for a third time.

fatboyz

I have a 12 VLP that I shoot 69 gr SMK's and 80 gr Bergers out of. It has a staggered feed mag as well. I bought a score high single shot follower to solve the feeding issue.You just take the action out of the stock, remove the follower and spring, drop in the score high, then replace the regular spring and follower and put the action back in the stock. Just drop the rounds in and they load real slick. Both loads I shoot are too long for the magazine so single load is the only way.
    The score high is available at Sinclair's.

I did the same thing in my 1 in 8 twist Sinarms barrel 223AI. I shoot 69, 75 and 80 grain exclusively in it at long range and don't have to worry about OAL not fitting the magazine box.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

onesureshot

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    cut the spacer out and use your .243 follower to fill the length.
    this might also help.

tapered feed cone like the AR15s use, to give the barrel a chance to direct the round in
    Does the tapered feed cone cause any excessive wear on brass? Seems like it would be similar to the problem of unsupported case heads in pistols. Just curious, thanks for the info.

Junfan

Thanks for the information but I would like to load multiple rounds in the mag and cycle them through with the bolt. I really don't want to turn this into a single shot as I use it for coyotes and other purposes than just target shooting. Any advice on how to make this magazine feed reliably? Maybe a 243 mag and follower with the lips bent in? I am up for just about any input.