Thread: In Need of accurate Load Information for Savage Edge rifle in 30-06

Hammerdown

In Need of accurate Load Information for Savage Edge rifle in 30-06

Hello
    My son in Law got a Neat Savage Edge rifle for a Christmas present from our daughter this year.I have seen these on my shooting range and they all seemed to group tight and function well, so I told her to get him one & it is chambered in 30-06 and has the matte blued or black finish with a Camo. stock. I sighted it in for him using Standard Remington 165 Grain ammo and it did all right with it, but I feel it has a lot more promise if hand loaded for. I am not familiar with this rifle and what works good in it in the 30-06 Caliber as far as Bullet selection meaning vendor & weight or what Powder's work well for accuracy out of it. I shoot a Vintage Husqvarna chambered in 30-06 and can tell you mine does not like the 165 or higher grain bullets as I fire the 150's in mine due to it's slower Barrel twist rate. My question is, has anyone worked up a good accurate load for one of these Edge rifles chambered in 30-06 and what powder and bullet combinations did you use ? I have been handloading for almost 20 Years, so if powder dispensment grains are shared in this thread, I will start out lower and work up to the rifles sweet spot. Thanks for all that respond to my need's here. Regards, Hammerdown

Re: In Need of accurate Load Information for Savage Edge rifle in 30-06

Hi my steven's 200 chambered in 30-06 I have had good luck with 110 gr sierra's with 60 gr of varget, it give a new definition to the term flat shooting. and the best part the brass shows no sign of trauma and the bolt cycles fine with no "stickiness" as allways re loader beware.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Hammerdown

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye
    Hi my steven's 200 chambered in 30-06 I have had good luck with 110 gr sierra's with 60 gr of varget, it give a new definition to the term flat shooting. and the best part the brass shows no sign of trauma and the bolt cycles fine with no "stickiness" as allways re loader beware.
    Hello Scope eye
    I appreciate your response, but was hoping someone would chime in with some load info. using bullets of 150 Grain or heavier. My son in law will be using this gun & Load for white tail deer. Regards, Hammerdown

My Remington 700 BDL/DBM with 22" barrel loves 48.0gr Varget under a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to an OAL of 3.35"...easily shoots 0.75" 3-shot groups @ 100yd off a crappy rest with a marginal trigger man ;D

Basic Member

My go to load for 30-06 is 57.5 grs. Imr 4350
    150 gr. Nosler accubond

57 grs. Imr 4350
    165 gr. Nosler accubond
    These loads have always shot 3/4 in. or better. Maybe they'll get you started.

Oh, I use R-P brass, CCI 200, Oal 2.90

Hammerdown

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    My go to load for 30-06 is 57.5 grs. Imr 4350
    150 gr. Nosler accubond

57 grs. Imr 4350
    165 gr. Nosler accubond
    These loads have always shot 3/4 in. or better. Maybe they'll get you started.

Oh, I use R-P brass, CCI 200, Oal 2.90

Hello thirty-06
    Thanks. That is exactly what I was Looking for. Best regards, Hammerdown

Basic Member

My Savage .30-06 likes 150 grain bullets with 52 grains of 4064 or 58 grains of Big Game, and 165 grain bullets with 58 grains of H4350 or 49 grains of 4064. The H4350/165 grain bullet is a classic, fast load. I get 2900 fps in a 22 inch barrel.

Basic Member

Savage 116
    WW Brass
    CCI 200
    180 Nosler Ballistic Tip
    59.5grs H4831
    2668fps
    ES - 9
    .5-.7MOA

You should find a load from 59-61grs.

Hammerdown

Hello Guys
    Thanks much for the load info. I now have a starting point and Great reference I really appreciate it. Regards, Hammerdown

Basic Member

I dont have a 30-06 anymore but when I did I always founf the reloading manuals that listed Factory duplication loads and accuracy loads always the powder that they tested these bullets with was the best, may save some money rather than buying a ton of powder. I don't remember the loads I used in my 06 but the powder I used was the powder they recommended in the accuracy loads. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Hammerdown

Quote Originally Posted by ourway77
    I dont have a 30-06 anymore but when I did I always founf the reloading manuals that listed Factory duplication loads and accuracy loads always the powder that they tested these bullets with was the best, may save some money rather than buying a ton of powder. I don't remember the loads I used in my 06 but the powder I used was the powder they recommended in the accuracy loads. Lou

Hello Lou
    I have several Reloading Manuels from old publications of Phil Sharp the famed handloader of wildcat and standard caliber rounds, to the newest edition from Lee reloading by Richard Lee. The Problem with Reloading Manuels is they Often List Many, Many Powder and Bullet combinations to any given round and with Bullet prices for the 30-06 Being from $25.00-$60.00 Per 100, and Powder being an average of $25.00 a Pound, I was looking for someone that has this Savage Edge rifle chambered in the 30-06 caliber and that has all ready found a good Proven hand Loaded accurate round by hand loading for it to cut to the chase here so to speak rather than waste time, money and efort on bullets and or powder that will not work well in this gun. :) Regards, Hammerdown

Basic Member

Savage model 110 sport weight barrel,

57.5 grains ImR 4350
    150 grain sst Hornady bullet
    seated @ 3.25 shoots a ragged hole all day long.

If you have a chance to pick up some sst light mag 30-06 ammo try it my gun loves it its movin at 3100fps for factory ammo its great.
    couple of savages