Thread: Savage Target Action

Savage Target Action

How much difference is there in the Manufacturing process between a Savage target action and the several different Premium actions.

Nefarioud

Re: Savage Target Action

Good question. The savage action is a lot less machine intensive compared to some I've seen. I see a lot of savage actions at the matches I go to and in the results of other matches results online.

The only thing I've seen elsewhere is a machined in rail on the top, but that would be way more complicated to produce than the tube.

82boy

Well define what is "Premium actions?"

Are you talking about Custom actions like Bat, Stoll, Stiller, ETC, or are you talking about factory actions like Remington, Cooper, Weatherby, ETC, Or are you talking about a Savage action that has been reworked and blueprinted?

Basic Member

Premium target actions such as Stillers have more time involved in machining. The receiver bore and lug raceways are wire EDM'd requiring about 5 hours machine time, compared to Savages which are bored and broached in about 5 minutes.
    A custom action has all the parts hand fit per assembly, requiring more time dedicated to details. Typically the tolerances are closer meaning a more precise fit. Stiller also offers nitrided bolts for smoother operation which adds to the cost. Some actions such as the Bat multi-flat require more machining for cosmetic purposes and time alotted for a hand polish. Building something with high precision requires more time and whether or not that extra time make it that much more accurate is in the opinion of the shooter. Having things the best they can be, gives the feeling that one will not be handicapped by equipment and the rest is in the shooter.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

So Fred.......

On a scale of 1-10........

Just how good is a Savage Target action ?

Really want your professional opinion......

:D
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Fred,

I'd heard that the custom actions normally got heat treated before machining, so any warping would be taken care of during the machining process. The trade off being that more expensive tooling was required, it needs sharpened/replaced more often, and the process takes longer... all of which adds to the cost as compared to the Target actions that are banged out in two banks of five CNC machining centers, in essentially two setups. Does that jive with your understanding of things?

Monte

Basic Member

I know that Stiller does some machine work before heat treat such as port configuration and bolt handle notches and trigger pockets. The receiver bodies are have the bore rough drilled undersized when they start. The action screw holes are drilled and tapped right from the get go because that is how they are attached to the mill fixture. From there they go to heat treat and when that is done the bore and raceways are wired out and the barrel tenon threads are cut.
    Carbide tooling is standard now a days and it lasts longer even when cutting harder steels. Receivers aren't as hard as you think.

SO this is for anyone on a scale of 1 to 10 were is the savage action at,

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    7 or 8
    I have found that a Savage action can shoot every bit as good as a custom action, it just needs tweaked.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    Half the price of a custom action.... ;D
    Ask Team Savage, they have many medals and I'm sure they have competed against shooters using custom actions.
    Ask Tim Lambert, he set a new world record @1 mile with Savage action.
    Ask 82 Boy, he beat 71 shooters in 1 relay @ the 600 yd national last year...with a Savage.
    Spending big bucks won't necessarily make you a competitive shooter, but spending time at the range will. It's not the sword...it's the swordsmanship.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    It's not the sword...it's the swordsmanship.
    Well said.

Uncle Jack

I have to agree.

Once you have a good barrel screwed into a good action with a good trigger, it's pretty much up to the shooter. There are so many other variables such as stock, bedding, scope, and Reloading, that come into play along with the shooters ability to read mirage, winddrift, etc, etc, that I defy anyone to point to one action as that much better that another.

uj

ellobo

I'm curious. What is the average rockwell of a Savage action? At a guess I would think about 45-50.
    El Lobo

Basic Member

38-42 Rc. Chrome moly recievers are induction heat treated, stainless receivers are vaccuum furnace heated.

Banned

well im no sniper myself but ive got a savage bgtvss 204 ive won most all the egg shoots and paint ball shoots with it in my area. most of the guys shoot coopers and customs 10 x to 1 all other guns were far more expensive than mine.those cooper guys get mad when a savage beats them......

7 or 8
    I have found that a Savage action can shoot every bit as good as a custom action, it just needs tweaked.
    Patrick, what exactly needs to be tweaked on a savage target action?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]