Thread: 1:8 & 6mm bullets

stapher1

1:8 & 6mm bullets

Just wondering what the lightest weight bullet i could shoot out of a 1:8. And what's your favorite 6mm varmint bullet? I've had great results with v-max bullets but i was curious what everybody was using?

Basic Member

Re: 1:8 & 6mm bullets

Depends on the caliber. My 6BR 1:8 likes 75 VMax just fine. My 1:8 6mm Rem would explode 58 gr Hornadys at 4,000 fps. 1:8 generates serious rpms when you are in the 4000 fps range (360,000 rpms!!!!). Keep the speed down and your fine with the smalls. Tim

stapher1

I going with a 6br.

82boy

I have shot 65gr Match bullets.

1Shot

...My buddy makes me 68 grainers that shoot like a laser in my 1/8 6br.

stapher1

Quote Originally Posted by tiny68
    Depends on the caliber. My 6BR 1:8 likes 75 VMax just fine. My 1:8 6mm Rem would explode 58 gr Hornadys at 4,000 fps. 1:8 generates serious rpms when you are in the 4000 fps range (360,000 rpms!!!!). Keep the speed down and your fine with the smalls. Tim
    So 58 gr's are out of the question, that's fine i was planning using around a 70gr. Everbody has the heaviest bullets listed, but i don't see lightest weight for twist rates listed.

TBass

I just took out my new Savage with a 1:8 twist shooting Hornady's 87 grain V-max and it had amazing accuracy.

Additionally I think this is the most explosive bullet with the highest BC, at a reasonable price that you will find.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stapher1
    So 58 gr's are out of the question, that's fine i was planning using around a 70gr. Everbody has the heaviest bullets listed, but i don't see lightest weight for twist rates listed.
    With 6BR speed you will be fine. Here are some examples of what you can do with a 6BR. http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/ The bottom of the link has varmint loads with a smaller bullets. I have a 1:10 and 1:8 6BRs. My next will probably be a 1:14 twist for 66/68 gr bullets for pointblank BR. However, I would recommend most to get the 1:8 and have the flexibility to shoot all. Tim

TBass

As previously stated, I took my 6mmBR out for the first time (it has a 1:8 twist) and I was happy with the results shooting the 87 grain Hornady's.

But now (like Stapher1), I am looking for an extremely fragile varmint bullet to start working up a load for prairie dog season. Judging from the twist rate I felt that the 87 grain bullet would be more ideal than the 75 grain.

If you guys were going to start working up a prairie dog load, which round would you start with?

helotaxi

55 gn BlitzKing, 55gn Nosler Ballistic Tip, 58gn V-Max or 62gn Varmint Grenade. You're not really in danger of spinning any of those bullets apart and other than in some extreme circumstances, the faster twist has no effect on accuracy with lighter bullets.

TBass

I was kind of under the impression that you want to match your bullet weight to your barrel twist…. But if the 55-65 grainers have very little chance of pulling apart & if people have experienced good accuracy with these lighter bullets, it definitely opens up a bunch of potential bullet to be used.

helotaxi

Rate of twist sets the max length bullet that you can shoot. Nothing more. If you only plan on shooting the lighter bullets, you might go with a slower twist barrel to keep pressures down. If you base your barrel on the bullets that you want to shoot, you match twist to bullet. If you already have the barrel...

AvgJoe

My 6BR Shilen 1:8 loves the Berger 80 FB Match!!!

Basic Member

My Savage 1-12 6BR single shot loves the 80 grain berger bullets. Anything heavier the bullets tumble. lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Forester

Quote Originally Posted by AvgJoe
    My 6BR Shilen 1:8 loves the Berger 80 FB Match!!!
    Must run in the family, my Shilen 1:8 also shoots the Berger 80gr FB bullet lights out. 31.7gr of Varget and itty bitty little groups.