Thread: Just Got a Very Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions

Rifleman51

Just Got a Very Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions

I just bought a Savage 19 M in at least 95% condition, it came with the original Wallensk 4X scope.
    This is my first old Savage 22.
    It's the model with the longer stock, 28" heavy barrel. The stock goes to within about 4" from the end of the barrel, kind of military looking and has a metal cap on the end.
    It has the built in scope mounts and a blade front sight, but I don't see a back sight on it.
    It's not like the later NRA models that had the extended dopter rear sight and hooded front sight and in the pictures, I can't see any holes or anywhere that a rear sight could be mounted, so I'm wondering if it even had a rear sight.
    If anyone has any more info on it, I'd sure like to know more about it. I have not got it yet, so I can't post pics.

I know it's an earlier model than most of the model 19's, not an NRA version, but more of a target rifle.
    The scope has the outside ring with the 3 turrets to adjust the whole tube for sighting it in.
    I paid $425. for it. Very good bluing, great stock, but it has a small chip at the heal, otherwise it looks perfect.
    It has the military type sling swivels on it.
    I'm pleased as can be with it. The guy at the shop said the bore is excellent also, it may be a darn good shooter.
    I intend to shoot it with subsonic ammo only. Can't wait to see how it groups at 25 and 50.

Anyone who could give me more info on this model, I would sure appriciate it.
    Thanks, John K

Re: Just Got a Very Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions

I think the rear sight was mounted where your rear scope mount is now.

The 19M came factory with those scope mounts on it, in fact I'd say those mounts would be worth almost as much as the gun, hard item to find these days.

If you get a chance to take a pic or two of those mounts I'd like to see them.
    Savage- "never say never".