Thread: 44 Auto Mag ??

stimpylu32

44 Auto Mag ??

Just how critical is it to inside ream the brass when using a 308 case's to make 44 A.M. case's

This is a new project for me with a new cartridge , so I'm in uncharted ground on this one , any input would be very helpful , also what bullet would you recommend for this round ?

Thanks in advance .

stimpy

Eric in NC

Re: 44 Auto Mag ??

Absolutely critical - brass is WAY too thick after you cut it down if you don't inside ream it and will result in a big bulge on the outside after you seat a .429 bullet.

Even if it does chamber, it will raise pressure because the brass can't expand away from the bullet when you fire the cartridge.

stimpylu32

Thanks Eric

One more thing , Does it have to be inside reamed or can it be outside turned ?

The reason I ask is that Forster has a 30 day lead time on the inside reamer , while I have the stuff needed to turn the outsides already .

stimpy

Eric in NC

Don't know - wouldn't think that would work though (step on outside would get pushed out when seating a bullet = weak spot in case).

Not like a long, necked rifle cartridge where you can anneal and fire form using a "blank" load of cream of wheat etc.

Man I would sure look at Starline brass on that one - not that expensive if your time counts for anything at all.

Around $35 per 100 - I saw Midway was out of stock with a quick search but someone must have it in stock.

leather5to1

Definitely have to ream, I don't think I would try it any other way. There is an automag forum somewhere, haven't been there in a long time. Those guys know everything there is to know. Also, watch out with your loads. Most published stuff is too hot and will ruin the pistol. I take it its an original right?

leather5to1

Google automagpistol and you'll find a bunch of auto mag nuts.