Hello all. I'm new to the forum, but I've been doing a lot of reading. I'm going to venture into building a savage. I'm going to be building this with my grandfather. He is a retired gunsmith (he's 80 and I don't know if a gunsmith ever retires). He never really did much with rifles other than finishing stocks and putting barreled actions in them. He was much more involved with shotguns and I would consider him very knowledgable in repairing/modifing them. Nonetheless, it will be a special build as every rifle I have was either built/assembled by him or a combination of myself and him. It's funny because I think he takes more pride in the game that I get than I do!
At any rate.....I've ordered a savage sporter action with the standard bolt face. I got a long action and am planning on building a 308. I want the long action to be able to seat the bullets out further. Here is what I've settled on so far and I'm looking to get an "equipment review". I'm planning on a McGowan barrel, 26", 1:10. I'm going to get a different recoil lug, a stock from Richards (grandpa uses them a lot and so have I). It will be pillar/glass bedded. Also, going to get ewg picatanny rail and likely warne rings. I would love to stick a leupold on top, but I'm going to go with a mueller (I have one on a 204 now and for the money, I can say I'm quite pleased. It's not a $600 leupold or zeiss, but it will do the job for now). I don't shoot competitions; mainly will shoot at some varmits, from the bench and may hunt a little (will be from a ground blind with a table). I just enjoy shooting, but I also like being accurate. Any feedback would be appreciated.