Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 260 Rem for Whitetail. Too much?

bubbinator

Re: 260 Rem for Whitetail. Too much?

My wife and I shot 4 AL whitetail last year out of our garden. She got hacked off because they were eating her bushes in the front yard too! All our shots were with Rem 140gr Core-Lokt bullets, double lung shots, BEHIND the fore leg/shoulder area. All were DOTS(dropped on the spot), and no shoulder meat was lost. I shoot Hornady SSTs (Hornady Light Mag 308) in my Rem 700 Sendero 26" @ 3000fps with the same result. I try to aim at least 10" behind the front leg vertical plane if possible. My sole deer this year was an old 7pt buckin my greeenfield following some does that I shot off-hand with my wife's Ruger Compact 7mm-08 @90 yds(porch to back fence). It went about 30 yds, collapsing as it tried to jump the fence. It also was a double lung shot, a little higher than I like, but it was a standing unsupported shot on a moving deer. If you want to see meat destruction-shoot a deer with a 220 swift or a 300 Weatherby Mag. I guy in my old club used a 300 Weatherby( on 100 lb AL deer!) and lost both shoulders and still had to track some deer w/ 5" exit wounds! I killed 2 the same day with a 222 Rem that were dead in their tracks in the green field(neck shots). Bullet placement will save your meat.

Tracer

The .260 Remington is certainly NOT to much to use on any whitetail deer or mule deer for a fact! I have used the 1/4 bore (25-06) for years and now am using the wildcat (.264-06) 6.5/06 for you metric fans out there in the hardwoods. ;D

lomfs24

I have looked at that 6.5-06 and that does look like a very good round. Little bit more poop than the 260 but I'll bet that it's a killer down range. I have even thought about that as a next build because I have a ton of 25-06 brass laying around that would work for it.

Luckus

I have been using two 6.5x55's for a few years now with the 140 Hornady IL at about 2600 fps, with excellent results on deer and one cow Elk. Sounds like you have had a bullet problem. My new barrelled Swede really likes the 120 Nosler BT but I haven't shot any game with them yet. Try the 140 IL and slow it down a bit, 6.5's really don't need big speed to kill well. jmo

robert d

i shoot 6.5 284 120 sie sptz. 3250 fps no meat lose when shot though lung entry and exit wounds hit one going away from me between shoulder blades lost a lot of meat that time. if your meat eater 22-250 3500 fps neck shot no meat loss one shot kills done this many times.i think your bullet is to soft try different brand.

PawPaw

My sister in law shoots a .260 Remington. She makes neck shots, prefers to hit them high in the neck. She doesn't like tracking them. So far, she's three-for-three, bang, flop. Her husband loads 120 BTs over IMR 4350.

Tracer

Yes, one does not need the extra muzzle blast created by the .264 Win mag caliber but the 6.5/06 is just the ticket for down range shooting and penetration with a 130 or 140 grain bullet it very good. I would not be affraid of elk hunting with this caliber, it will do the job.

Basic Member

I had problems with the .260 remmington 140's putting whitetails down without them running for hundreds of yards first. Then I switched to the 120 grn nosler ballistic tip. Since the switch I haven't have a deer run farther than 10 yards.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Basic Member

The 260 Rem is really too small for large whitetails.

Better stick with a 340 Weatherby or 375 H&H with premium controlled-expansion heavy-for-caliber bullets for complete penetration on whitetail.

With conventional bullets, stick with something at least 458 in diameter.

lomfs24

Wouldn't expect any less out of you Hammer. ;D Go big or go home right?

Basic Member

Once shot a spike mule deer using a light-for-caliber 210-grain Nosler Partition from a 340 Weatherby at point-blank range -- maybe 20 yards.

It was at last legal light.

Took two hours to find him -- laying exactly where he had been standing when he was shot. Hadn't moved a foot.

If he had been hit with a 250-grainer instead of the little 210, or if we had more muzzle flame by using a 378 Weatherby, we might have found him quicker.

But hunting for a little spike in the dark using lit cigarettes for light ain't too easy.

Basic Member

Hammer, you a funny man!

Basic Member

260 to small lol lol lol
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Basic Member

Your .260 is fine, just use a tougher bullet. Try a ttsx, GMX, or partition.

rivermud

I use a 125 grain Nosler Partition for deer and it has been outstanding. Everything falls to this bullet and very little waste with the controlled expansion.

Papa

Hi,
    Reports of SST bullet failures are starting to be common here in eastern Kansas. First 270 and then 30 caliber blowing up on soft tissue. Now you are reporting 6.5mm as well failing on body shots. I would look for another bullet.

Papa

Basic Member

Double-lung behind the shoulder for meat. Look for the pink blood on th eground and follow the red trail..

Big deer, worried about losing a big 'un.. Take out the wheels (shoulders). Top of the shoulder crease normally tickles the lower part of the spine... DRT with very little kicking, but bone fragmentation takes out more meat especially if you hit lower than expected.

SC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12