Thread: 11 lightweight hunter

corelokt

11 lightweight hunter

Called today and tried to order something similar in a left hand. Had to wait the half hour on hold, but... wait for it...
    They are working on releasing them also! They have a closer screw spacing than the standard short action, so will not fit the american classic stock I have tucked away.

caper33

Re: 11 lightweight hunter

that is good news

corelokt

Anyone know what it is that is different on these? Barrel contour, thickness of the stock, etc.

PRM

Interesting. Unique bolt pattern means it will be highly unlikely there will be any aftermarket stocks available. I have been looking around for a true lightweight stock for a Savage and have not been able to find one. I was kind of hoping the lightweight hunter would be in a stainless synthetic combination. Or, at least be able to put an ultralight stock on it. Surprised they are able to get it to 5.5# with a walnut stock. With a synthetic it could be as light as a Kimber Montana (albeit with a 20" vice a 22" barrel). Still pretty good. Between the wood stock and a 20" vice a 22" barrel I'm not sure if I'll get one, but I like the basic idea.

corelokt

We are a fickle bunch arn't we? I'd like stainless with a blind magazine and thin profile stock, especially beneath the action where I carry it.

Basic Member

Well savage is known to pay attention to what the customer wants. It would be good if it was a syn. stock, i don't see how it will make 5.5lb with wood. In the past i have found that the weights have been "stretched" a bit.

While i still want a lightweight hunter i'm not real interested in paying $700+ for one with a wood stock since it won't fit my need. Nor do i want to buy one and six months later they start coming out with the stock i wanted to begain with. Yep corelokt your right, we are pretty fickle. blue

corelokt

They could go a lot thinner with a synthetic stock and a blind magazine. I've always lusted over the old model 20's, the springfield mini action. This is getting real close, sans the CRF and pull button hammer.

PRM

Fickle? Gun nuts...noooo! ;D I agree Savage is very good at listening to the customer. One look through their lineup makes that clear. Pretty much something for everyone in there. About the Model 11, only thing I can think of is that a wood stock was required to meet their cost point. A nice carbon/kevlar synthetic would make it really light (I assume), but also much more expensive. Not really Savage's market. I'd take the weight savings on a stock and add 2" to the barrel.