Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here, need help on stocks for a newer 10FP....

B-radical

New guy here, need help on stocks for a newer 10FP....

New guy here (Nice forum btw!)

And i'd like to change the stock out on my 10FP .308. Let me first start off by saying that is is a non accustock, but has the accutrigger, the bolt release is in the trigger guard, and it has a 4rd detachable mag.

I am currently in love with the looks of the Choate Varmint series....but every place I look to buy, it says "Will not work on models with the bolt release in the trigger guard..." Anyone knwo why? What could I do to make it work? I don't really like the looks of the B&C medalist, and the McMillan....they semi resemble what's on it now,a nd I am looking for different ergo's. The Stockade stocks are nice, as are the manners, but I like the choate Varmint, and the price!

Any help for a new guy? I ran a few searches, but didn't come up with much. Going to try a few more after this post. I also like the adjustable cheekrest that the Varmint offers. I know other stocks offer them as well, again, I just like the varmint looks

Thanks for any help.

It's also equipped with an EGW one piece base (o moa) SWFA medium rings (love these!!!) And a 4-16x50 Millett TRS-1 scope. Love the setup, just want that varmint stock now!!!

Captain Finlander

Re: New guy here, need help on stocks for a newer 10FP....

Buy a laminated wood tactical and paint it with the textured paint. You can add the adjustable comb or other do dads very easily and once sealed with a primer it is just as moisture resistant as any synthetic. This will save you a hundreds of dollars over a high end synthetic.

http://rifle-stocks.com/proneculbertson.htm Start off with something like this then cut, file and sand away untill you like it, then paint it. Std grade walnut is only $115 and the B&C Medalist tactical is pushing 200 bucks.

For a real nice high end take a look at Stockade Gun Stocks http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

Basic Member

Are you sure it is a10FP, Reason I ask I have a10FP but bolt releaseis on top my 16 has a bolt release in trgger gaurd, the model 10 I have has internal box mag and screw spacing is 4.4 is yours 4.4?, just to make sure does your stock have a hole in the bottom of it where the mag can be taken out, once I know this I can give you more info. If I am not mistaken I have switched stocks and actions around and they will inerchange with bottom bolt release let me know more.

B-radical

Hey Frank, I believe it's actually a 10FCP, It's an accutrigger model, no accustock, detachable mag, mag release right in front, and the bolt release is in front of the handguard. I believe the spacing is the 4.4

I don't believe the Choate Varmint, or sniper will work.....they have the trigger guard already molded in? I would need one black/open, like a Chaota Tactical, or a B&C Medalist.......I semi-like that Choate tactical, but with the adjustable cheekrest......

Thanks for all the help you can offer!

Basic Member

Ok, You have to measure the two bolts that hold the action in, the first one is under the bolt release second is right in front , measure center to center, that will be how you buy a stock either a 4.4 or 4.2, neither Choate or BC make a stock for DM only for internal box but you can remove the box mag from the hinged plate and drop it in any of those stocks, just squeeze the sides of the box mag and it will pop off.

Or you can buy one for DM with 4.4 from HS Precision Tactical a very nice stock.

B-radical

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    Ok, You have to measure the two bolts that hold the action in, the first one is under the bolt release second is right in front , measure center to center, that will be how you buy a stock either a 4.4 or 4.2, neither Choate or BC make a stock for DM only for internal box but you can remove the box mag from the hinged plate and drop it in any of those stocks, just squeeze the sides of the box mag and it will pop off.

Or you can buy one for DM with 4.4 from HS Precision Tactical a very nice stock.

Looks like Choate has one out for the DBM

http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_T...rfeed_Only.cfm

???

B-radical

Damn, nevermind. That one says the same thing.......that it

Only for bolt release on top version. Will not fit very recent models with bolt release on trigger guard. At this time we do not guarantee that this stock will fit the Savage Short Action Detachable Mag Centerfeed.

B-radical

Ok, You have to measure the two bolts that hold the action in, the first one is under the bolt release second is right in front ,

I just thought of something.....my action has 3 screws holding it in.....does that mean it's an Accustock? It wasn't marked Accustock when I got it......I got it late 09, like October

Basic Member

how crazy they are not sure what it fits, the very rear is just a trigger gaurd bolt, Choate has their own website google it and call them.

dmack

Quote Originally Posted by B-radical

.....my action has 3 screws holding it in.....
    Are you counting the screw at the rear of the trigger guard or do you have a screw in-front of the one in the magazine release section?

B-radical

It's got one in the rear of the trigger guard, the front, and in front of the mag release.

dmack

ok...like Frank stated, the very rear screw is just a trigger gaurd bolt.

B-radical

Here's a few pics of the action, and stock. The 2 front screws are 4.4" apart.......

[img width=269 height=450]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3017/imag0148l.jpg[/img]
    By brad081000 at 2010-12-29

[img width=269 height=450]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8470/imag0150m.jpg[/img]

And here's the stock....is there anyway to identify an accustock?

[img width=600 height=358]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2024/imag0152i.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=358]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8257/imag0153b.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=358]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9305/imag0154y.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=358]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/204/imag0155h.jpg[/img]

dmack

Accustock was an additional bolt in front of the mag. release/floor plate.

See pictures in this review,

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...warrior-review

B-radical

Was this the stock you speak of?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...e-stock/Detail

They show the PSV118 to be the dbm mag version............ I wonder how I woul get a solid cheekrest on it without drilling it like a Karsten......more searching is ahead of me! :)

B-radical

Quote Originally Posted by dmack

Accustock was an additional bolt in front of the mag. release/floor plate.

See pictures in this review,

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...warrior-review
    Alright so it's a non accustock. As the bolt under th mag release is the last one up front......thanks! That helps!

Basic Member

B-radical

Thanks! Was just looking at that one. Looks better than the PSV118, as that's pretty close to what I have already, for the shooting hand.

Looks like that one will work perfectly for my setup

Basic Member

yep, mine came yesterday, really nice

Basic Member

what scope do you have on there?

B-radical

Nice! I see that both the black, and the black w/ gray webbing are sold out I emailed for a lead time, and got a general 8-12 weeks, maybe sooner as they are popular. Guess I need to just suck it up and order one. Which color did you go with?

The black with gray webbing intrigues me...don't knwo why as I usually prefer a solid black rifle. Maybe it's time to be different!

It's a Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 ill ret mil dot, riding on SWFA 30mm med rings, which are mounted to an EGW one piece 0moa base. I have a crappy pic of the entire rig, but it's with the 2.5" sunshade installed. Thena close up of the top of the 3 screws on each side of the rings that clamp down. nice rings for sure! I bought it all at www.swfa.com

B-radical

You going to do any bedding to yours? Or just mount it up?

Basic Member

I was looking at those scopes at optics planet $289 for the one you have. I got the black with grey web , last one, he he, am I going to bed it ? , well it comes with a letter that says the military tested it on the M24 and it does not need glass bedding, I have a Rem 700 that came with HS Stock the bedding block seems to fit just fine and shoots great so probably not, if it shoots to my expectations, I have several stocks to change around for testing.

B-radical

It's a really nice scope, firm, positive clicks, can lock down a "0" as a refernce point, the mil dot ill ret is nice and clear. The zoom is a little tough at first, but gets easier as you use it, the only thing I don't like about it, and some might is the turret "locks", sometimes you leave them open, and they will tighten down, so when you go to make an adjusment, nothing happens. Just more annoying that anything, but it wouldn't keep me from buying another.

post some real world pics of that stock if/wheny ou get time :) I think I just may go with that one to give my safe some variety.

Basic Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast