Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: savage 110ba 338 lapua = 2+moa rifle???

Banned

Re: savage 110ba 338 lapua = 2+moa rifle???

i got a 300ultra,338 ultra 338 lapua and strangely enough they all like retumbo h1000 and 4831sc. the 338ultra loves a 300smk as does the 338 lapua, the 300 ultra loves accubonds.none of these rifles are savages though.they are all built on remmy 700 actions and broughton bbls. both 338s have 30 inch barells. the 300 ultra has a 29 incher.

dcloco

....IF either of you try this, START THE LOAD LADDER OVER!!!

Have either of you crimped your loads? Or tightened up the neck?

Can increase the burn time in the case if you increase the neck tension.

Would be VERY interesting if one or both of you can do this.

On another note....have both of you calibrated your scope to YOUR eyesight? Adjust the scope to 16 power and adjust the focus on the eyepiece at a 100 yard BLACK AND WHITE target.

In the same note....if you are using colored targets, swap to black and white. Talk to your optrician about colors and clarity.

Basic Member

Bodyworks, Take it from a old bench rest shooter what shoots good at 100 yards will probably not be the best load at 300yards and the best load at 300 yards won't be the beat load at 600 yards and the 600 yard load very well may not be the best at 1000 yards. That rifle was never made to be a 100 yard rifle. If you want to shoot bug hole groups at a 100 yards buy a 6mmPPC or a 6mmBR !! With Magnun calibers if they shoot between 1.5 -2.0" I don't worry about it at all. I go to 400 yards and work up a load for that range. Then I pretty well know what it is capible of and if you can say around 2" that in 1/2" M.O.A. That is as good as can be expected. Now if it shoots in 6" after you have tried a number different weight bullet and powers.( I use all match bullets for this type of testing to get a bench mark as they are usually more accurate than hunting bullets) You can pretty much figure the barrel is junk. Put on a new barrel and srart again.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetik1
    Bodywerks, I'm in the same situation as you. What I think is happening in both our rifles is this:
    1st the barrel on the 110BA is too short for the 338 lapua. The reason I think this is b/c the loads I've tested w/ h1000 and retumbo all the way to max, the pressure signs hardly change on the higher charges in both powders, but the ES becomes greater. Once I receive more bullets, I'll start my loads at least 2 grains below recommended starting loads. Simply put, I think unburned powder is getting blown out of the barrel before it gets burned.
    What you're describing is an issue with inconsistent ignition and has nothing to do with barrel length. All the powder that is going to burn has burned before the barrel is even halfway down the barrel. The combustion products continue to expand after the burn is complete and continues to accelerate the bullet down the barrel even though the burning is already complete. Muzzle flash is simply the hot gases igniting when oxygen is introduced and the pressure is rapidly released.

Inconsistent ignition can mean problems with primers, temps, powder, neck tension and distance to the lands. Barrel length affects velocity, and nothing else until you get to the extreme of short barreled rifles.

If the rifle is struggling with accuracy at all ranges, check the stock-to-action mounting, the torque on the scope rings, the crown on the barrel and the quality of the bore. It is possible that a dog of a barrel got past QC. It happens.

Mike Vegas
    The .338 bullet not stabilizing and groups 2+ MOA at 100 yards is a myth. Unless otherwise you are shooting that newly discovered bullet that auto corrects itself on the target then I would believe it.

The Savage 110BA like most rifles out there have it's FAVORITE LOAD. So here's my 100 yard shot groups, and I suck at my fundamentals.

Lapua Cases
    300 grain Berger OTM Hybrid
    90 grains Retumbo
    GM215M Match
    SUGGESTED COAL
    2720 FPS
    Last edited by Mike Vegas; 11-10-2012 at 03:55 AM.

I enjoyed the above post, I will re-read it again.

For whatever this statement is worth, I built a 338 Edge, close to a Lapua 338. I tried everything. One person chimed in and all he said is "Retumbo" will be your best friend. I tried repeatedly to get him to expand on his statement, but it never happend.

I bought a box of Lapua Scenar 300's (after trying all others), CCI primers (will have to check and see which ones), I put a load of 92.5 of Retumbo in the brass, and backed off the lands .030.

I held the gun exactly the same with every shot, exact shoulder pressure, you have to hole this one tight, at least you do on mine. I put 3 rounds within a quarter at 300 yards and have been able to do so ever since. I don't shoot the gun often, but it hammers when I do.

Nossler just came out with a 300 Accu-bond, I am going to shoot a few round just to see how they do. I asked Shawn Carlock about lighter loads, he told me to stick with the heavy ones. Just my personal experience, Dennis

I believe how I mount the gun and hold it has just as much to do with accuracy as the loads I shoot. JMO It's a heck of a gun to shoot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12