Thread: Scope Comparison Advice Needed

MDHOGGER

Scope Comparison Advice Needed

I have read some past posts on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 Mil Dot and comparisons to other scopes in various areas. I am presently looking for a scope to use for prairie dogs out to 600 yards from off the bench. I like to use scopes with mil-dots for hold-off points for windage. I am also a clicker so I need adequate elevation to get out to long range without maxing out the adjustments. The rifle I will be using the scope on has a heavy sporter barrel so a large scale scope is not appropriate. I presently have a few Bushnell Elite 4200 in 6-24X40 with the mildots. The glass is very clear but they only have 26MOA of elevation adjustment also the heavy outer duplex tends to crowd and limit the field of view. I also have two Nikon Monarchs in 4-16X42 with the mildots. I like these scope but prefer more magnification of at least 20X. I today tested my Nikon up against the Elite 4200 both set at 16X and the Bushnell was hands done winner for clarity. Purchasing scope always seems to be a compromise and I have narrow my choice done to the Vortex Viper and the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 SF Mil Dot. The Viper has 68 MOA of adjustment, nice target-adjustable turrets, side focus and 14.4" length. It seems the Vipers mil dot reticle is more open that the 4200 Elite mil dot. Does anyone has first hand knowledge of this comparison? I know the 4200 Elite has excellant glass and clarity, can the Viper even come close to the 4200 Elite? Can anyone comment on the last two questions I pose.

Captain Finlander

Re: Scope Comparison Advice Needed

I use the same scope with the fine cross hair and target dot. All that other stuff just busies up the target area and doesn't translate well to anything other than military use. Everybody wants a sniper rifle so any good marketing director is going to make it available to the public but it is not practical for the average varmint gun.

MDHOGGER

As I mention in my post I don't use the mil dots in the military type application but for reference points for windage hold-off. When shooting at prairie dogs it is a simple process to note where the bullet hit in relationship to the mil dots windage wise and then make the adjustment. The mil dots depending on their size and scopes magnification can obscure and hide the target. That is why I would prefer hash marks like in the Nightforce NP-R2 reticle or the higher end priced Vortex Viper PST series but am not able to spend that kind of money at this time. I would very much like some responses on my two questions as to the differences between the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 and the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 side focus. One how does the clarity of the glass compare. I would venture to say not as good with the Vortex. However the Vortex Viper has some good qualities like the increase elevation adjustment and setable target turrets. I don't know if these features are enough to off set the attributes of the Bushnell Elite 4200. I have seen some of you guys mention that you have the Vortex with the mil dots. Does the picture accurately depict the reticle with a less obtrusive outer heavy lines and more open center area. I would like to make my decision this weekend so I can order the scope. I know what the Bushnell has to offer but need to know if the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 is worth taking a chance on purchasing. Thanks I need some input guys.

Captain Finlander

Actually they are both of similar quality. IMO the slight optical edge goes to the 4200 but the packaging edge to the viper. I have shot prairie dogs too and out to 500 yards they are mighty small even at 20x so I don't see your logic at 600 but you can use whatever reticle you want too, the busy ones just aren't for me.

MDHOGGER

Captain Findlander thanks for your comparison for the two scopes. Let me explain my logic on scope use. The cartridge I have chosen for for this prairie dogging is in my opinion effective out to 600 yards. I having been shooting prairie dog for a number of years and take about six rifle to cover all ranges out to 1000 yards. I went to the Vortex site and found out the mil dot itself subtends to .25" at 100 yards. To use the scope at 20x would be a 30% increase in magnification making the mildot increase in size to .325" at 100 yards at 20X power range. At that rate the mil dot size would be .65" at 200 yards, .975" at 300 yards etc. and finally 1.95 " at 600 yards my maximum effective range for this cartridge. In other words a mil dot held on a standing prairie dog at 600 yards would not totally cover up or obscure the dog. This is what is critical to my situation.

Basic Member

have you checked out the doa reticle on the 4200 it has the hashmarks instead of dots ive never used a viper but ive yet to see a scope for under a grand to top my elite for clarity

gt40

I didn't see what your budget was, but have you considered a Vortex Viper PST FFP scope?

Take a look at the one I have here:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rif...pes-C2860.aspx

gt40