Thread: Savage model 3B .22

Jeff Ovington

Savage model 3B .22

About 29 yrs ago ( I was 9 or 10) my Grandfather gave me his Savage model 3b .22.
    My Dad accidental dry fired the rifle and broke the bolt and firing mechanism a couple years later, he felt really bad, but I wasn't to to concerned, back then it was a disappointing but, a fixable thing.
    I had lots of Guns and really didn't concern me.Now that I am 39 I really want to get this rifle back in firing order. Other than a few minor scratches this rifle is in very very good condition.This is a rifle I want to keep in my family and pass it down to my one of my Grandchildren as his first rifle. Don't have any yet, but my 18 yr
    old step son, will be having kids of his own.I know there is lots of various Model 3 from A- D and more, I have yet to really really do a serious search for a bolt.If by chance I cannot find a model 3b bolt can a different model 3 bolt be used interchangeably with slight gunsmithing modifications.I mean I not gonna just slap another bolt in there and fire but I just want to know if there are any model 3 bolts weather it be an A C
    D or anything else, that can be used In place a model 3b. I've talk to one gunsmith who just said get a new gun cause fixing or replacing the bolt wouldn't be worth it.The guns isn't valued at alot and it would cost as much or a little more to fix. But it is the only thing my I have from my Grandfather, it means alot more to me know that I'm an adult and can appreciate sentimental value, and if I have to dig deeper onto my picket book to get it to fire, so be it, I just want to make sure it gets passed down from Generation to Generation.Thanks

Re: Savage model 3B .22

Thats a good question.

I'm also wondering if the model 4 and model 5 bolts are the same as the 3's, if so it might make it a bit easier to find a bolt.

And while were at it I'd also bet the Stevens 55 and 56 bolts would also fit.
    Savage- "never say never".

forger

Here's the place to start:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Rifleman51

Do a search for "Firearm auction Sites". You'll find several, look at Savage rimfire rifles, I saw quite a few parts for sale on the one's I looked at, quite a few bolts, don't know if they are for your rifle.
    Call Jack First, Inc. Even if they don't have the parts, the gal who answers the phone can tell you what bolts and parts will fit your rifle. I don't think there's anyone who knows gun parts better than her.

John K

Model5

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/
    Lots of parts for old rimfires.

http://dickwilliamsgunshop.com/Savage.html
    More parts, but not listed. Need to e-mail requests.