Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice - elk hunt

Basic Member

Re: Advice - elk hunt

Well folks, concluded my first Elk hunt and came home empty. The guide did his part, but I hesitated on a shot at a trophy elk and I will have to live with this until I can afford to return. I did pass on a small 2 x2 or 1 x2, but with big bulls in the area, I thought I would get another shot at a larger bull..

It is hard to explain to someone who has never been what they might face and probably each trip will be different. All I can say is that experience is always the best teacher. Got to New Mexico on Friday before my 5 day hunt and the weather was hot( 70’s ). The person taking me hunting wanted me to sight my rifle in, so I headed out to the shooting area to see what I could do. I hit a 12 inch target at 400 yards probably a couple inches off center and he was satisfied. All those hours shooting long ranges with my 4 x 1 6 scope had paid off.

The first morning we sat on a ridge overlooking a valley and we watched all the hunters come in. The rut was over, but the guide continued to call hoping one might answer. We then left to look at a water hole and tracked a set of fresh tracks for over 3 miles. At this point the altitude was bothering me along with over-dressing. I was hot and I am sure he could tell I needed a rest, so we decided to come back for a quick lunch. Well, on our way back in, a truck was in front of us headed to our area. Okay, now the guide decided to head up to the mountains. After bouncing around, we finally pulled over and started our hunt.

It was a cutover area and man was it thick. We did see tons of elk signs and I was thinking this might be where I get to see an elk. Did not see an elk that afternoon, but plenty of tracks so I was pumped for the next day.

On Sunday morning I was still feeling the effects of the altitude and the 7 miles or so we walked the day before. As we again headed to the mountains, I mentally got myself ready for the days hunt or at least I thought. The guide was telling me he usually uses his 35 caliber lever action. I was thinking to myself with all the modern available rifles out there, why use such an archaic gun. Boy, did I eat my thoughts so to speak!

We reached our spot, packed up, sprayed down and headed through the timber. We would walk as quietly as we could for 100 yards or so, and then the guide would cow call. After about two hours, we were nearly to the top of a small saddle in the mountain. By this time I was dragging a little behind the guide about 10 yards or so and was begining to get hot. I had come out of my jacket and was finally cooling off.

As the guide stop to do his cow calling, the brush behind us erupted. I was completely caught off guard and very startled. A huge 7X7, (I never saw the head, the guide did) bellowed and came crashing in. He circled in front of the guide and paused behind a set of trees. The guide went to his knees and whispered back for me to shoot!.

At this point I made several mistakes. For one, I was behind the guide maybe 5 yards at this point and did not want to shoot over his head, so I quickly moved next to him. The elk at this point was only 20 feet in front of me and I could not pick him up in my 4x scope. When I did, all I could see was his mid-section. I was trying to get to the shoulder when he jumped. All this took place in about 6 seconds, which seemed like an eternity. I blew the shot, no other way to put it. My brother who was the quickest draw I have ever seen had to be laughing in his grave. . The guide told me I should not have worried and should have taken the shot over his head. I should have shot , but I didn’t . No luck at getting close again and we headed down the saddle. About 400 yards from where we were, a small bull appeared and the guide told me he was barley legal. I could have taken him, but I thought with 3 days left, I might get lucky later on. We hunted that area that day and came back once more, but no luck at seeing the elk again. Saw three cows, but no bull..
    The rest of the hunt was back in the valley stalking tracks and watching a water hole. I had a cow come within a 100 yards to where I was set up. She finally could not figure out what I was and started this barking sound—to me it sort of sounded like a beagle. So the last day we tracked a bull/bulls again for miles until we just decided to give up . I was hot and the sweat was pouring off me.

All in all, I had a great hunt and I will be better prepared next time. I saw cows and bull and should have come home with a wall-hanger..

It is sort of ironic that I worked so hard at making the long 400 yard shot, but could not pull off the 20 foot shot. Now I know why the 35 open sight lever action would have been the right choice.

Oh well, definitely got the bug and if I am still employed next fall, will try and scrape up another hunt.

Good luck folks and God bless..

fyimo

Sounds like you had an exciting hunt even though you didn't take an Elk. Most people have no idea how much work Elk hunting is and the warmer tempetures really aren't a hunters friend. Once you get the bug to Elk hunt most other types of hunting fall far short in excitement. There is nothing like seeing a big Bull or hearing one bugle to get the blood pumping.

By they way don't be discouraged on not getting that big bull as anyone who has hunted them much has missed a shot from time to time. There just aren't that many chances at getting a bull and the success rate in Colorado is 15% and there are many people that go all season and never see an Elk.

I'm sure that you will be saving for the next Elk hunt as once it's in your blood it becomes a big priority. I just completed my 29 year in a row and the last 9 have been as an out of state hunter paying the big bucks. I lived in Colorado for 21 years before retiring in 2002 and moving to Arkansas.

My trophy bull
    7x6
    [img width=960 height=768]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/fyimo/Arts7X6Elk.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Nice bulll. Well I am in Tennessee and we don't see anything like what you got.. Congrats on that..

I sort of went the less expensive route. A guy I met at our local range paid twice what I did, but saw more bulls in a lot less of the work. Hopefully next year..

We did find a set of last-year horns. I thought about taking one out to a huge wildlife refuge here and dropping it off. When found, it sure would be the main topic at the local coffee shop!..

Thanks..

Basic Member

Wal0001
    It sounds like you had a very exciting hunt. From my perspective, and reading what you wrote, if you were even a little concerned of the guide being "in front of the gun" you did the right thing. You can always "wish" you had taken the elk, and will most likely get another chance at one. Had you taken the shot, and somehow hit the guide, you could NEVER had taken that shot back and would regret it for the rest of your life. A successful hunt, is not worth risking a human life. Good call!

That's one reason, by the way, my 338 Wm wears a 2x7 luepold, not a super high power one, even though the caliber is capable of reaching way out there. I built the rifle for an AK moose hunt that never materialized, but I was concerned about a close encounter of the unpleasant kind, with an AK brownie, so the 338 will keep the current scope.

I went elk hunting once in NM, with my 30-06 and it wore a 3x9 and on one occasion, we jumped a small bull (the ONLY one I saw that whole trip) and I couldn't get on him fast enough to see his horns, and it was set at 3x. If someone made a 1x7, I would buy it. I keep a straight 2x on my 45-70 lever. The lower power scopes are smaller, lighter, and easier to get on target. As you are now aware, in those hills, every little bit helps. I shot my deer this fall, with my 308 that wears a 3x9, at 180yds. It was set on 4x. I only use the higher powers on mine, for sighting in, and "checking out" a deer for antler size.

By the way, not sure if you did, or if the guide (or anyone else) advised you to, but drink almost excessive amounts of water, when in those high hills. You dehydrate faster than normal, and the water helps you acclimate to altitude faster too. It works on airplanes too, takes away the fatigue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12