Thread: Bolt Handle Replacement Grief

Bolt Handle Replacement Grief

Hello:

I have a Model 12 FVSS (.223) and a Model 16 FCSS (.223) and I purchased a tactical replacement bolt from SSS to install on my Model 12. My plan was to replace the bolt handle on my Model 12 with the tactical bolt and to take the original over sized ball bolt from my Model 12 and replace the bolt handle on my Model 16.

The fist bolt replacement worked without issue. When I took apart the Model 16 bolt by removing the bolt assembly screw and tried to add the oversize ball bolt handle from the Model 12 I thought that it well; however, when I tried to put the bolt back into the gun it would not go due to the black "cocking piece pin" being orientated at the 12 o'clock position instead of the 3 o'clock position (which would allow it to go into the gun).

When I took it back out and tried to position the black cocking piece pin to the right it forces the cocking piece sleeve to come towards the read of the bolt and covers the threads that are for the bolt assembly screw, so that I can't screw the bolt screw back in place.

I have no idea what I did wrong as I tried to just take the bolt handle off and replace it with the new one. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Chizzy

hailstone

Re: Bolt Handle Replacement Grief

If I am reading your post correctly and understanding what your describing it sounds like a simple thing. You need to assemble as before then cock the firing pin. As you found out the sleeve covers the threads when assembling in the cocked position. Place the pin against sharp edge (piece of wood works best) then push down too cock the firing pin.

If you uncock the firing pin, just start the Bolt Action Screw (BAS) into the threads a few turns and then re-cock the FP and tighten down the BAS, real easy this way.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by hailstone
    If I am reading your post correctly and understanding what your describing it sounds like a simple thing. You need to assemble as before then cock the firing pin. As you found out the sleeve covers the threads when assembling in the cocked position. Place the pin against sharp edge (piece of wood works best) then push down too cock the firing pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    If you uncock the firing pin, just start the Bolt Action Screw (BAS) into the threads a few turns and then re-cock the FP and tighten down the BAS, real easy this way.
    Thank you Hailstone and GaCop! I have no idea how I managed to uncock the bolt. Perhaps I am one of those people that should be allowed to take these things apart. ;D

I appreciate your help and assistance.

Regards,

Chizzy

Glad we could help.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67