Thread: Temperature Stability

Basic Member

Temperature Stability

Hi all,

Is there a chart/list of relative temperature stability values for different powders? I am looking at some fresh load development and live in WY where the temp can change 50* in a day pretty easy.

I'll be loading the 338 Win Mag (225's), 7mm Rem Mag (160's), 270 Win (140's) and 7mm-08 Rem (100's, 120's and 160's) if it matters. . .

Thanks and God bless,

Adam
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

dcloco

Re: Temperature Stability

Adam - I like the Hodgdon Extreme line of powders. Always light and all have provided excellent accuracy.

http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html

Have not used H4350 much, never made it that far in some calibers. For some reason, Varget, the GO TO powder for several powders, has never been that accurate for me. Has been acceptable, but Benchmark and H4895 have done as well or better in most cases. (believe the issue must be me....EVERYBODY else in the world does great with Varget).

Benchmark in 204, 223, & 223 AI have been excellent. Same with H4895.

H4198 is a splendid, quick powder that is fun in several calibers...from 20 VT to 45/70.

H4831 & H4831SC is a "GO TO" powder in 22/6mm AI, 6mm AI, 270, 30/06, 7 Rem Magnum, 300 Win Mag....very accurate, very stable, and great performance.

Retumbo has been nothing short of fantastic in "Norad" - 338 RUM. 1868 yard with one shot on a deer is proof.

Yes, I do use other powders, but the above are the mainstay.

Basic Member

I heard about that line. . .

I see that RL powders don't do so well according to the site listed, but I have some pretty impressive groups from the fellow I got my 338 barrel from with RL 19. Is it possible to verify these findings? Sorry, but I don't necessarily trust Hodgdon to tell me about Alliant powders

Also heard good about RL 22 in the 7mm, thoughts?
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

dcloco

I like to use RL powders, but, it has been my experience, to work your loads up in the hot weather.

Anybody else have experience with RL powders and load usage in temperature extremes?

stimpylu32

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher
    Hi all,

Is there a chart/list of relative temperature stability values for different powders? I am looking at some fresh load development and live in WY where the temp can change 50* in a day pretty easy.

I'll be loading the 338 Win Mag (225's), 7mm Rem Mag (160's), 270 Win (140's) and 7mm-08 Rem (100's, 120's and 160's) if it matters. . .

Thanks and God bless,

Adam
    None that I've ever known of , Hodgdens does say that their Extream like of powders will handle the temp. swings well and I've seen that , not so sure that the Reloder line does as well though .

stimpy