Thread: What about doubling up the bottom metal on the mark II or 93?

jawjadawg

What about doubling up the bottom metal on the mark II or 93?

I own two Savage rimfires. One is a 93R17 bull/laminate and the other is a Mark II TR that I just picked up yesterday. I have been reading about bedding or adding pillars. It seems that a good many people feel that adding the thicker bottom metal offered by Savage Gunsmithing is just as effective and a much more simple fix.

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if picking up a second piece of the factory bottom metal from someone with a spare would enable me to gain similar results by doubling up the bottom metal. Would this reinforce the area in the same way? What am I missing? Seems like if this produces positive results that the additional piece purchased from Savage wouldn't set someone back anywhere near the current $35 for the aftermarket piece.

Anyone have a spare they want to donate for my experiment?

Basic Member

Re: What about doubling up the bottom metal on the mark II or 93?

I was thinking about cutting a new one from aluminum before I repaired my stock. Shouldn't be hard to do.

I think (just my opinion) two of the thin OEM plates would still bend if you don't have anything supporting them.

Basic Member

This is what I made for my 93R17 BVSS. It is a laser cut piece of 1/8" thick stainless steel. I have not inlet the stock for it yet. The rear screw on this design will go to the rear action screw rather than being a wood screw into the stock.

The blued piece next to it is the thin factory stock piece

[img width=600 height=450]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/rm_5960/PC040023.jpg[/img]

jawjadawg

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    This is what I made for my 93R17 BVSS. It is a laser cut piece of 1/8" thick stainless steel. I have not inlet the stock for it yet. The rear screw on this design will go to the rear action screw rather than being a wood screw into the stock.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/rm_5960/PC040023.jpg[/img]
    That's really nice, and would seem to be the better change if someone is handy enough to inlet their stock and mill the part. I agree that the two pieces together will not be as sturdy and still prone to bend with excessive force. I don't know how much because I haven't tinkered with it yet. My plan is to try the two pieces first to see how my groups perform compared to as it stands. I have a couple of other goofy ideas to sample just because I've never read of anyone giving them a try...if I can get my hands on another piece.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262

Very Nice !!!