Thread: Can I use .260 Rem. Redding Match "S" Neck Bushing Dies on a .260AI ??

Basic Member

Can I use .260 Rem. Redding Match "S" Neck Bushing Dies on a .260AI ??

I have been using the Lee Collet die very successfully, however I would like to try the Redding bushing dies, only issue is that I would be using a .260Rem die on a .260AI. It works with the Lee Collet die, however, I don't know if the Redding will size the case in the body more,etc. Anyone know for sure? Thanks, Bob

dcloco

Re: Can I use .260 Rem. Redding Match "S" Neck Bushing Dies on a .260AI ??

Believe the AI case wall is straightened out too much and probably will not allow the neck of the case to even reach the bushing.

Basic Member

Thats what I was thinking, anyone else?

I wonder why the collet die works then?

Elkbane

It works in the collet die because it's sloppy loose in the body of the die and the collet only touches the neck of the case, where it squeezes the case neck against the central mandrel. If you take the collet and mandrel out and drop a case in the die, you'll see what I mean. Now take the bushing and decap pin out of the Redding die and drop an AI case in. If it fits in the die all the way to the shoulder, then it will work, but given that the case wall taper has been straightened out in teh fireforming process, the sidewalls will probably contact the die walls before the neck gets to the bushing.

Elkbane

Basic Member

Thats what I was thinking too. Thanks for the confirmation. Bummer.

John928au

Grafs list a 243 AI redding bushing die, then all you do is get the different bushing for your 260 neck. Should work.

regards,
    JohnT

Basic Member

JohnT, would that work? sounds like it should. I wonder if there are any other dimensional differences btwn the two rounds- 243AI and 260AI?

Elkbane

I tried this once - not this same exact issue - tried to use a Redding 243 Bushing Bump die with 260 caliber bushings - no go. The hole in the shelf to allow the neck to slide through (where the bushing sits) was too small and I had to take it to a machine shop to open up the hole. It wa just a little too small for the 260 brass to slip through. I worked OK after mods.

You may have to call Redding and ask what is the ID of the neck hole for the 243AI die - then compare to the od of you fired case to see if you have sufficient clearance. That will tell you whether it will work.
    Elkbane

Basic Member

Do you mean the hole in the die is too small to allow the .260 bushings that fit the neck of the .260 to fit in the .243 die and that the die had to be opened up to allow the .260 bushing to fit?

Elkbane

Inside the die, about 2/3 way from the bottom to the top, there is a shelf machined into the die body where the bottom of the bushing sits. If the hole in the shelf (that the case neck passes through) is too small for a fired 260 case to fit through, you're SOL. My fired cases measure .294 across the neck. The hole in the 243 Win Forster Bushing Bump Die before mods measured .278 (as close as I could measure it) - I had it honed out to .298 to make sure it wouldn't touch any case neck before the neck hit the bushing.

The OD of the bushings are uniform for each manufacturer but not all bushings are interchangable between brands. Hope that clears it up - sorry for the confusion.
    Elkbane