Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 12 LRPV DBM

Savage Hunter

Model 12 LRPV DBM

I realize this model has been quietly discontinued (very suprisingly along with the Model 14/114 Euro Classic), but I'm looking for information from those that have the DBM variant.

I know it does not have the "Target" Accutrigger, but does it have the target action with the small ejection port? Can anyone provide a pic of the action on the DBM variant?

Re: Model 12 LRPV DBM

Probably looks an awful lot like this:

[img width=600 height=222]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/firearms/12LRPbluedII.jpg[/img]

The 12 LRPV DBM is now the 12 LRP, blued/carbon steel receiver & barrel, Target Accutrigger, and different calibers.

Savage Hunter

Actually, I just found a couple pics of the DBM variant, and it does have the smaller ejection port on the right side. Cheers.

Savage Hunter

For whatever reason, I can't view the pics posted on this computer. Not sure if it's a format thing or what.

I like the fact that it will now come with the Target Accutrigger, but I don't like the fact that they replaced the SS barrel with a blued barrel, and I don't like the fact it is no longer offered in .223. In my jurisdiction, it is illegal to hunt varmints with a any caliber larger than .229.

Savage Hunter

Any chance you could send me a PM with the pic(s) as an attachment? Maybe my computer will like that better?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hunter
    In my jurisdiction, it is illegal to hunt varmints with a any caliber larger than .229.
    Is that in the US, or other? Seems odd as there are so many popular varmint calibers in 6mm and .25 cal, not just .224 and below.

I don't like the fact that they replaced the SS barrel with a blued barrel,
    Considering the price differential, I think I'll live with it

Here is a link directly to the image... see if that works for ya:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...LRPbluedII.jpg

Savage Hunter

Thanks, I'll check out that link. Apparently the single shot variants have 3 action screws. Does anyone know how many action screws the DBM variant has? Two? One?

jwpark

Why did Savage discontinue this model. Thought was a good offering, if anything they should expand it to more calibers.

LawmanSales

Looks like the RBRP LRPV is gone too.

From what I gathered... while they may have looked really cool... they didn't sell very well.

mikeyr68

The Model 12 LRPV with DBM did have a "Target Trigger" just like the rest of the rifles with the closed top action. Confirmed with Savage support. The only way to get a Target Action repeater was through this rifle. They would not sell the action as a repeater on its own. I tried.

I eventually tracked one down for my build. It came as a 22-250 with the right bolt, right port, target trigger, heavy large thread barrel, and HS stock. Sold everything but the action.

Made this:

Gunkoted flat black, HS stock from another Savage, SSS bolt knob, Douglas barrel and SSS brake, 7mm-08. Right now it is in the final setup with EGW HD steel rail, NF rings, and NF 3.5-15x50 scope. Shoots perfectly for me. This was my dream build.

mikeyr68

Oh yeah, and two action screws. Same spacing as the Center Feed models. The HS stock came from a 10FP HS with centerfeed.

King Ghidora

The Model 12 LRPV with DBM did have a "Target Trigger" just like the rest of the rifles with the closed top action.
    That's not the information I got. I understood that only the single shot variants got the target trigger. I know people on this board were sure that none of the LRPV's had the target trigger until I posted photos of mine (left port, right bolt). The web site said they did not have the target triggers but that has of course changed now.

mikeyr68

Here's a pic of my action before I blasted and gunkoted it.
    [img width=600 height=337]http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1phM-6COU9kPb3S-g3kitDjRUqxIYoa0Oh-RuKvat7XqWuzsnQ7OhggnetMU9-GAgDCu959L23EznPWEriz3RV7Q/P1000167-700.jpg[/img]

Note: Precision Target Trigger

The stock trigger will easily go down below a pound as verified with a pull gauge. The safety blade was orange as well, which was my understanding was to signify the Target Trigger. I spoke to several at Savage and all verified that this was the only way to get the Target Action in a DBM setup. Now you can get it with the 10BAS but its in black and I don't think those come with the Target Trigger but do come with the lighter Accu-trigger. There is a long action version of the action now available in the 110BA setup (.338 Lapua or 300 win Mag).

King Ghidora

Well. I said that the LRPV's all came with the target trigger on this board before based on what I had read in a magazine. Then some people here said it was only the single shot versions or at least I think that's what they said. Maybe it was just the models without the open top loading. I have the single shot version with the red AT blade etc.. I'm more confused than ever now. I knew that only some LRPV's got the target trigger but I was mistaken about which ones did and didn't.

Savage Hunter

The 2010 catalogue indicates that only the single shot variants of the LRPV have the Target Accutrigger. I do find it curious though that they would used the smaller ejection port on the DBM repeater variant, and not use a Target Accutrigger. I ordered one yesterday. Should be here in little over a week. I'll let ya know.

mikeyr68

I think where the confusion comes in, other than Savage's poor attempt at marketing the different versions of their rifles, is that not all of the MODEL 12 Rifles were the same action. Some were standard action, some were Target Actions. The Target Actions have Target Triggers. The Target Actions are a small port action with a closed top. They(Marketing) were probably saying that all Model 12's had a certain trigger and then forgot that there were Target Actions lumped in there.

Now it seems the LRPV Repeater has moved to the "Target Rifle Series" but kept the Model 12 name with the rest in that group. There are still Target Action models under the Model 12 Series as well. IDIOTS.

Make the Target Actions a Model 13 or whatever. All Target actions should be in the same "Series" and all should have a closed top, small port, target trigger. Easy!!!!!

This would probably fix all the confusion on what exactly a Model 12 is.

You still have the odd balls in the 10 series like the 10BAS and 110BA that are basically a black Target Action but those are different enough that they shouldn't get too confused with other models.

I'd love to see what you get when your order arrives. I had to look long and hard to find the LRPV repeater action.

Mike

Savage Hunter

Mike, are you 100% sure that all the target actions have target triggers? I too find the marketing at Savage confusing, but the catalogue indicated only the single shot variants have the target trigger. Besides testing pull weight, how else will I be able to verify that the rifle I've ordered has the target trigger? Is it a different colour than the regular Accutrigger?

mikeyr68

It should have an orange/redish trigger blade with a warning etched into the side of the action. Take a look at the pics I posted above.

The newer one that was mentioned earlier, LRP?, it's got a blued finish action. Not sure on those since I haven't held one of them yet. I know the model 10's that are black with the closed top and small port do not have a target trigger. They have one that goes to about 1lb if I remember right. I just had a 110ba 338 lap version come through and I forgot to test the trigger on it. Really, it doesn't matter a whole lot. The normal accu-trigger can be adjusted as light as they go and still work great. The target versions will start locking up the trigger if you set them to far down. And 1lb is plenty good enough unless you are benchrest shooting.

What is your main reason for getting this model? Just for fun? Varmints? Targets?

Mike

mikeyr68

Sorry, but to answer your question, I am never 100% sure on anything gun related. The only thing I am 100% sure on is that there are exceptions to everything.

King Ghidora

As I understand things, there have been 3 levels of the AT for centerfires. There's the regular AT, the target AT, and an AT that is in between the two in terms of how low it will go on trigger pull. They have been putting that middle trigger on some models for quite a while.

The one thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure. I know what I've seen and I've seen some things that have surprised me in recent days. I know that I have a target action on my LRPV single shot model. I also know that according to many the SSS trigger is better than any of the Savage triggers. I almost ordered one for Christmas but I thought it would be nice to have what I wanted by Christmas. Nothing personal against the fine people at SSS. I just know they're backed up. Or I think they are anyway. I'm not going to take a stand about anything for a while. ???

I do know that people on other boards have no respect for Savages because they don't cost enough to suit them apparently. And they swear that the target action isn't even available in a stock rifle Then they banned me for 5 days for saying they were wrong. Ignorance is bliss if you want to play Napolean I guess.

Savage Hunter

Mike, the main reason I ordered this rifle is for varmints and plinking, and some target competition out to 600 m. If I was going to do more serious target shooting, I would have ordered the left port, right bolt, single shot variant, most likely in the 1-7" twist version. I'll get one of the Savage target models in a bigger caliber in a few years for 600-900 m shooting.

LRP_Creedmoor

looking forward to my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor........should be fun!

King Ghidora

The 1:7 twist is great for longer range shooting but it will hurt you with lighter bullets. Still if long range is what you want then that's the way to go. I've thought about swapping over my left port, right bolt LRPV ever since I bought it but the 1:9 twist should get me out to about 600 yards anyway and that's about as far as I'll ever have a chance to shoot in my area. Too many hills and too many people in the region. It might be possible in a very few places but actually getting to shoot from those places is another matter.

twotwothree

The Savage custom shop will probably make whatever you want, within reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast