Thread: opinions on bsa optics

jhelmsfishing

opinions on bsa optics

My simmons on my 30-06 has to go, but I don't have much money to spend. I just put a bsa sweet 17 on my 17 hmr and love it, considering its made for that. But I was wondering if it would be worth my savings to go with a bsa catseye 4-16x44 on my -06. If its as good as the weet 17 I know ill love it, I just want some opinions from somebody who knows more about it. Since I'm shopping online I don't have the chence to look through one.

Captain Finlander

Re: opinions on bsa optics

Obviously you have to buy what you can afford but if you can save $90 you can save more and a few more bucks will get you much better scope. The Redfield 2-7x33 is equal to a VX-1 in optical quality for just over $100 and would make a perfect compliment for an 06. The 4-16 is not a practical power range because deer are large enough objects that they can be clearly seen using more power. In fact 4x is to much power for 50 yard shots at deer.

Speaking from experience, I had my scope dialed up and had forgotten to turn it back down before setting it in the back of the truck. Just then a buck comes charging across the field and ran right at us. I pulled my gun up and couldn't find it because the scope had to small a field of view. I had to dismount the gun and make the adjustment before shooting the deer. I was fortunate that I was in an open field which offered the time to make the switch, this isn't always the case. Sometimes while deer hunting your not going to have allot of time and a larger field of view is ideal for these situations.

That is some very sound advise for a hunting scope on a hunting rifle using an 06 caliber but you do what you want to.

jhelmsfishing

Yeah, I've done some more shopping around and decided against the bsa. But its not just a deer rifle. I just love to shoot and want something a little more than the 4-9 I have now.

But I havnt mentioned the prob with my simmons yet, so maybe you can help with this. The reticle was somewhat tilted, so I loosened the rings and straightened it. But now I notice, with the reticle sraight, my scope ain't perfectly aligned with my rifle, now its tilted. Idk if maybe something inside the scope has moved or what.

ajlandis

Do you remember the reticle being tilted before? Is the scope holding tight groups, and staying zeroed? If not, it's broke. It's not unheard of for a scope not to be parallel with the reticle.
    I'm a big fan of 3-9x40 scopes, especially if you're on a budget. They're the most commonly produced and allow the manufactures to provide the best scope-for-the-dollar ratio in most line-ups. You'll be better off shooting targets at 300 yards with a good quality scope set on 9x than you would be with a crap scope set on 16x. Been there, done that. Get the best, no-frills scope you can afford in a 2-7/3-9 model. For $130, my favorite is the 3-9 pentax pioneer II (same thing as the burris ffII). I'm also a fan of muellers and have heard a lot of good stuff about vortex. And in case you reconsider the bsa, I vote for leaving it at the store.

i know i am going to take a beating on this but if you are on a tight budget the bushnell xlt trophy have been on sale at dicks all year. think they can be had under a bill if you watch sales. it would be a upgrade over the simmons. i would pass on the bsa,although i got a friend who swears by the cats eye.

jhelmsfishing

Yeah, I'm bout decided on a burris ff2. Opticsplanet. Has it for 150.
    And I don't remember it being like that before, but I never really noticed til I mounted my bipod. And now with my gun sitting level it is really noticable. I mean it holds decent groups, but I want my stuff to be right, ya know. I mean, its bad tilted.

Basic Member

SWFA had a great sale going on Burris FF2 scopes. They had the 3-9x40 for $119. The sale may still be going.

jhelmsfishing

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anybody got any suggestions on what exactly could be wrong with my simmons? I would like to figure out what caused it to tilt just so I can know for future reference.

ajlandis

Quote Originally Posted by SCHROEDER
    SWFA had a great sale going on Burris FF2 scopes. They had the 3-9x40 for $119. The sale may still be going.
    BINGO! I'd dare to say that's the best deal going right now on scopes that fit your need. They're being discontinued, and selling cheap. I've got a few of them, and I have no complaints.
    As for the simmons, if you didn't notince it before, it's probably a loose reticle. It's not uncommon on cheaper scopes, especially when subjected to .30-06 recoil. It can happen on better scopes, too, although it's much less likely. If that's the case, you can't ever count on it to hold consistant poi. Smack it around a bit and see if it moves some more. Heck, smack it with a hammer til it breaks, then order one of those FFII's before they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmsfishing
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Anybody got any suggestions on what exactly could be wrong with my simmons? I would like to figure out what caused it to tilt just so I can know for future reference.
    I had a Simmons ProSport 4x12x40 that did that. I sent it in for warranty work. A week later they sent me a replacement ProSport 4x12x50. That one has held up so far.

Captain Finlander

I have a Burris FFII and it is a great scope for the money. Better than a Simmons

+1 on sending it back for repair. I had a Redfield reticle break so I sent it in for repair and when it was returned the reticle was tilted slightly, go figure.

Team Savage

I look at it a little different. I'd rather have the rifle fall over or get banged around with a scope that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Easier to replace a scope that cost less than $100.00 than a $1500.00 + Leupold or other high $$ rig. I've got 5 or is it 6 BSA scopes and I think they're great. A fixed 36 power works great at 100 yards for seeing 22 caliber bullet holes. It's your $$. Spend it the way you want.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Captain Finlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    I look at it a little different. I'd rather have the rifle fall over or get banged around with a scope that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Easier to replace a scope that cost less than $100.00 than a $1500.00 + Leupold or other high $$ rig. I've got 5 or is it 6 BSA scopes and I think they're great. A fixed 36 power works great at 100 yards for seeing 22 caliber bullet holes. It's your $$. Spend it the way you want.
    I treat my equipment better than that and better equipment will take allot more abuse before it fails. I would rather have a scope that won't break if it gets knocked over and take care not to knock it over.

CJ in WY

I've got a cheap Ospry scope that the reticle is tilted on=looks goofy but will hold zero and dial up/down and left right just fine. It works the way it is but there aint no way I would buy another, life is too short for cheap scopes!
    [img width=600 height=450]http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout%20195.jpg[/img]