Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander

I can see it as a target caliber but it is anemic as a hunting cartridge. I wouldn't build a 308 for hunting when considering all of the other choices available unless it was in an AR platform. The AR crowd is being sold a bill of goods with the 338 Federal because it doesn't offer any meaningful energy or trajectory advantage and unless you opt for the 225 or 250 grain bullets you don't gain any terminal performance advantage either. This is why we have never really seen any successful non magnums above 30 caliber because it really takes more steam to push the heavier bullets and only the longer/heavier bullets offer any better terminal performance. The magic of Ballistic Coefficients and Sectional Density. This reflects right back at the 308 when compared to the 7mm-08. The 308 only offers better performance over the 7mm-08 when using 180 and 200 grain bullets. Once we get into the 150 to 160's the higher ballistic coefficient and sectional density figures favor the 7mm-08. Then the 260 dominates with 120-140 grain bullets.

This does not make the 308 a bad choice only that one should make it knowing the limitations of it, as well as, the advantages of the other choices available.
whatcha huntin there hoss? elephant, moose, polar bears, godzilla? .308 will flatten an elk, and on whitetail deer borders on too much bullet when it comes to tissue destruction. I'd not call it anemic, except for the kind of critters i listed. Though i do not disagree with your paper assessment of BC and SD, but when it comes to real world implementation, it doesent really matter in 99% of circumstances.