Thread: How accurate is your factory Savage on factory ammo?

Harriershot

How accurate is your factory Savage on factory ammo?

I recently went to the range and shot a 3/8" group on three shots @100 yds. Using Federal Premium with a 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet. I had straightened these rounds out with the Hornandy lock and load concentricity tool, I also grouped them according to their overall length by checking them with the bullet comparator tool.
    The rifle is a model 14 with a 22 inch barrel 1 in 9.25 twist. I have fully accurized this gun to the max, it wears a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 Conquest with a duplex reticle. However the trigger is a SSS comp trigger, but that only helps me shoot the gun better it doesn't make the gun more accurate.

Are these results above average? I have yet to see a fellow shooter while at the range equally equipped, come close to these results.

What about you?

DGD6MM

Re: How accurate is your factory Savage on factory ammo?

Good question, don't really know. I've never shot a factory round in any of my factory Savage's. How do they shoot?

Captain Finlander

Factory ammo is just that, factory ammo. If your gun likes the combination it will shoot it better than something else.

Harriershot

Sorry, I forgot to add it is a .243, I think it is a great all around caliber for east of the Mississippi.

Charlie

Basic Member

3/8" group is great for any sporter. The problem is how often can it do it. I have shot 0.25" groups only to follow it up with 0.75-1" groups and nothing changed. I don't feel it was me, but something with the gun/scope. To really know your guns capability, shoot an aggregate. That is 5 groups of 5 shots. If it holds 3/8" here you have a winning combo. In terms of factory loads, sometimes you get lucky a particular factory load will shine in your gun. I have a Rem 700 308 Varmint that is sub 1/2" will Federal Gold Metal Match most of the time. When you starting sub-0.5 MOA groups you really came understand much of what is going on unless you are using some type of flags to tell you what the wind is doing.

Luck, Tim

mmargotta

I posted these pics on another thread, These were with Federal ammo the cheap stuff at Walmart. 39.00/100. .223
    These were 11 shots in a 3/4" hole..... I haven't been able to duplicate it since.

Model 12 bvss

Joe O

My LRPV in 204r shot factory,Federal w/39gr Sie BK @ .333, out of the box.