Thread: Good deal on amazon or something fishy??

Stephenthesuave

Good deal on amazon or something fishy??

Amazon.com has Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 for like $202 shipped direct from amazon... Is there something up with that? Too good to be true?

Re: Good deal on amazon or something fishy??

with out looking and just guessing..may be a discontinued model
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Don - LongRangeSupply

They are making about $25 at that price.

If it is a current model and the price is below MAP, and Leupold finds out who they are, they will lose their ability to buy Leupold scopes. If it is an older model then they can sell below without any concerns.

Captain Finlander

I didn't know that Leopold re-designed their VX-II's creating a discontinued version but it is a good price none the less.

Basic Member

German #4 reticle only...

Captain Finlander

I compared a 3-9x40 vx-II today to the VX-1 & 3 and was not impressed. I don't think it offers anything optically over the VX-1 but the 3 was a stand out. The Nikon Monarch and zeiss Conquest were also compared with the Leupold VX-3 and were all neck in neck competitors but I would rank them as thus; Zeiss #1 because I liked the thicker plex reticle, Nikon Monarch #2 because of price and the VX-3 last because it was the most expensive without offering anything better optically.

The Swarovski 2.5-10x42 was sharp but not worth 1199 bucks. The new Trijicon 3-9x40 was also very clear and had a cool factor for its unique illumination system but again not worth 800 bucks. The Bushnell Elite 4200 was very clear and had the best price point but I was not impressed with its packaging. To much plastic giving the impression that it was less durable than the others.

I wish the store carried other brands to compare such as Burris, Weaver or Minox. I have a Burris Signature series that is as crisp and clear as the top 3 scopes I viewed today

The VX-2 is not worth the price IMO, even at the sale price.

I always check Amazon for optics. A lot of times, they will offer free shipping in addition to having the best price. I usually give OP and SWFA an opportunity to match, but often they cannot or will not. I bought a Bushnell 4200 about a year ago and they both told me that Amazon's price was below their cost. I'm not making a recommendation one way or the other because service and selection are hard to quantify, but do have a value.

hogwire

I'm workin from a faulty memory but I think there is something different bout the lenses or coatings between the VX1 and VXII. Also you get 1/4 min clicks on the II and don't on the 1. Not a lot of difference but seems to be worth the price diff IMO.

Eric in NC

And it almost certainly won't be shipped DIRECT from Amazon - it is from one of their "partner sellers" I am sure. Not that there is a problem with that - just be aware that you are going through a middleman to a third party with those kinds of sales on Amazon.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hogwire
    I'm workin from a faulty memory but I think there is something different bout the lenses or coatings between the VX1 and VXII. Also you get 1/4 min clicks on the II and don't on the 1. Not a lot of difference but seems to be worth the price diff IMO.
    It's a lot more difference than that. I made the mistake of buying a VX-I 4x12 LRD, it was terrible. I can't believe that Leupold would put their name on such a piece of junk.