Thread: SSS Benchrest Laminate versus Stockade composite benchrest

docsleepy

SSS Benchrest Laminate versus Stockade composite benchrest

Both SSS and Stockade seem to make light/heavy benchrest type stocks. Any particular advantage to one over the other?

I kinda like the composite (less moisture sensitivity?) and internal alum skeleton of the Stockade.....but then I'm really a newbie and perhaps there is something more to consider.

The prices seem similar. My goal is accuracy and easy of use on benchrest and rear bag as I try to put together a 6PPC rifle on a Savage short action and Shilen bull (short) barrel.

Any particular advantage one way or the other you'd like to point out to me?

thanks
    gordon

docsleepy

Re: SSS Benchrest Laminate versus Stockade composite benchrest

hmm....NO comments? Anyone used the Stockade for benchrest? The SSS Laminate? Any comments?

82boy

I am guessing your asking about the long range benchrest stock? My understanding is Fred Moreo, (SSS) is the designer of both stocks. SSS has sold a lot more laminate stocks than they have stockade stocks. (When they use to sold them, and going by yearly sales)

The SSS stock has a better price. I have never had any problem with moisture sensitivity with a laminate.

If I was building a gun for accuracy, not shooting registered match's either stock would be fine, but I would lean toward the SSS stock, because I like the look of laminate much better than fiberglass.

groupshooter22

I had the Stockade br stock. Ordered it out of the mold and when I got it I couldnt believe how light it was. I now have a SSS dog tracker and am really impressed with it. Cant go wrong with either. Pick the one that you like to look at.

docsleepy

THANKS to both of you -- very good information, very very much appreciated.
    gordon

Quote Originally Posted by groupshooter
    Cant go wrong with either. Pick the one that you like to look at.
    I agree. I had a Stockade LRBR also, and now have a SSS HBR. Both of them are very nice stocks, but the SSS is a little heavier. I wouldnt even say that one is better than the other, cause I liked both of them and wouldnt hesitate to purchase either one(or both ;D) again for a future build.

Basically comes down to if you like the color pattern of the laminate, or wanna paint it a certain color.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

docsleepy

THANKS! for the additional information. Much appreciated!
    Gordon

Basic Member

If you were building a top of the line Savage target action F class rig w/ 30+" barrel, Nightforce scope, etc. What stock of the SSS BR, Dogtracker, SVT would you choose and why? I would like the option of the cheekpiece,etc. on the other 2 stocks not just the SVT- wonder why they are not available?

ctrout

Depends on when you want to shoot it. If you want to shoot it this year, get the Stockade. If you know you'll be alive for a while yet, don't care if you shoot the gun this year, and don't mind a LOOOONG wait, the SSS laminates are a nice stock.

Basic Member

This is for 1 year out- so I like the looks of them all and since I can't try one on for fit(I'm in NC and SSS is in Ohio) what is the general consensis (sp?) on what people like for Light fun (under 22lbs complete rifle) F class comp?

groupshooter22

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    If you were building a top of the line Savage target action F class rig w/ 30+" barrel, Nightforce scope, etc. What stock of the SSS BR, Dogtracker, SVT would you choose and why? I would like the option of the cheekpiece,etc. on the other 2 stocks not just the SVT- wonder why they are not available?
    My Dogtracker with my Nightforce in xhigh rings has more than enough material for cheek weld and the lrbr has even more. They might be able to make those stocks with adjustable cheek pieces.

groupshooter22

Quote Originally Posted by ctrout
    Depends on when you want to shoot it. If you want to shoot it this year, get the Stockade. If you know you'll be alive for a while yet, don't care if you shoot the gun this year, and don't mind a LOOOONG wait, the SSS laminates are a nice stock.
    Last time I heard stockade was 16 weeks out.

docsleepy

Thanks AGAIN for all the info. I see another thread or two about Stockade stocks, so even more information is being passed around. Glad to see that. Nice to have several good choices from which to choose!

Gordon