Thread: E.R. Shaw Barrel Question

Knappy

E.R. Shaw Barrel Question

I found a E.R. Shaw Barrel Kit in .270 for a Savage 110 on Midway USA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=425734

The post says "While not a switch barrel, this kit is an inexpensive means of unmatched versatility for a gunsmith or serious enthusiast to change the caliber, material and or contour of their Savage rifle."

What do they mean by "not a switch barrel"? Is this barrel not one that I can switch myself? I currently have a .25-06 barrel on my 110FP.

Thanks in advance,

Knappy

Re: E.R. Shaw Barrel Question

true switch barrels would be something like "blazer rifles" where you turn the barrel a 1/4 turn remove and install another with out having to set headspace.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

hotbrass

CYA!

Knappy

OK, so this barrel would work for my Savage rifle. I just need the barrel vise and wrench then I'm ready to rock and roll. Got it...thanks.

Knappy

Basic Member

The ER Shaw kit comes with a wrench and head space gages.

Bullistik

I recently bought a 300 win mag ER Shaw kit. Instructions are decent. Install was a piece of cake. It took a whole 20min.

NEJack

How is the quality? I have a .308 that fouls quite bad, and have been thinking of a different barrel for some time. It shoots 1" to 1.25", and is the most inaccurate Savage I own. Been tempted to try this, but was worried it would not be an improvement.

hotbrass

Why do you think 1" to 1.25" is bad? Are you shooting Benchrest competition?

NEJack

No, but it is something that just annoys me (silly I know). My Savage .223 will shot in the .6" to .4, and my 7mm Mag will do quarter inch groups all day long. Part of me wonders if an improvement could be made to my .308.

That and to be honest I have wanted to learn how to do the barrel change out for a while now. Again, the deer won't know but it is a goal to have all my rifles shot under an inch.

hotbrass

My benchmark for .308 is hitting a 9" paper plate at 200 yds standing offhand. It is more realistic for my hunting and high power rifle silhouette competition goals. I only shoot paper off the bench to zero my scope. But I like sub 1" groups too.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    My benchmark for .308 is hitting a 9" paper plate at 200 yds standing offhand.
    I would bet that goal is 90% shooter and 10% gun. I have tried to hit a pie plate standing at 200 yds. Easier said than done.

My one and only Shaw is a 22-250 I got on clearance many years back mainly for the gauges and the barrel nut wrench. It was a little rough to start with and then I did a little lapping and it cleans up good. It doesn't like to run fast, but my last agg I shot (5 groups of 5 @ 100 yds) was less than 0.5" and that is with one 0.9 " with a single flyer that I claimed as my stupidity for not seeing the gush of wind.

Nothing wrong with a Shaw for the price. Just don't expected a hand-lapped custom barrel performance.

Luck, Tim