Thread: Base hanging over action?

HankG

Base hanging over action?

I recently purchased a new scope and had Gander Mountain mount and bore sight it for me. Tonight, I noticed that the rear base hangs over the action a bit and I wanted to know if this was ok. It does not effect the bolt or ejection of cartridges at all, but is it less likely to hold zero like this? Here is a picture:

[img width=600 height=338]http://i54.tinypic.com/df7uc4.jpg[/img]

Dirk

Re: Base hanging over action?

It will hold zero, but the base is on backwards.

Basic Member

Looks like they mounted it backwards to clear the scope bell, should hold zero

HankG

SOB. He was so sure that I wouldn't need new bases and rings, I bet that's why he went out of his way to make the old ones work.

Basic Member

Your base is not on backwards. They are designed to go either way front or back on round top models.
    Unless you have a long scope that is the proper way to mount it so you won't hit the bell.
    Most people just use a one piece base.

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    Your base is not on backwards. They are designed to go either way front or back on round top models.
    Unless you have a long scope that is the proper way to mount it so you won't hit the bell.
    Most people just use a one piece base.
    +1

It is on correct.

It is part of the long action plague. A sickness that only reversible front and 1 piece bases can cure.

I prefer the Burris Xtreme bases with Signature Zee's for two piece. EGW or Weaver Tacticals for 20MOA 1-piece.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

which way you turn the bases depends on what you have to do to get the rings around the scope tube and where you need to set everything for eye relief. turning both the bases in for a short scope often leaves the scope to far forward and you will find your self moving your head forward when you shoulder the rifle. You have a little more option with this then you do with a one piece dove tail mount. the one piece with many slots is hard to beat when dealing with a savage 110.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

HankG

Good to hear that this setup will work. Thanks for everyone's replies. Now it's time to shoot it!

ultramag44

HankG, the base is fine. I'de worry about those rings! Get some Burris Signature Zee. Those mart-mart rings are not conducive to good shooting!

[img width=600 height=399]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageWeaver2.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageTargetlabeled1.jpg[/img]