Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: model 12 lrpv

Basic Member

model 12 lrpv

hello everyone, I'm new here and seems to be alot of info on this site. i need to know if anyone has a model 12 lrpv in 204 ruger and can give me some pros and cons about this model. I'm planning on picking one up Wednesday and like to know more about this model. i did a search and couldn't find much about this model in 204. any info will be appreciated.

larr

Basic Member

Re: model 12 lrpv

well it seems to me either no one owns one of these models or they don't want to share their experiences about theirs. thanks anyway

larr

dcloco

LRPV's in any caliber are fine shooters. Break in the barrel properly and enjoy many thousands of rounds of ACCURATE shooting.

Basic Member

I agree with dcloco
    and will say they are a little nose heavy when shooting off a bench ,mine will shoot in the .3s
    I love it ;D

don't try to set the trigger too low ,10-12 oz's seems to be the sweet spot so you don't trip the sear when you close the bolt.
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

Afy

I have an LPRV that I unfortunately have not shot yet. But from everything I have heard, they are excellent shooters.

northlander

Larr,
    The Savage Model 12 LRPV is an excellent rifle. I use one in a Single Shot with a 9 Twist 22-250 Barrel for my F Class Rifle. Out to the 600 yard berm it is a very accurate competitor. I have two other Savage Rifles that are done with the 204 Ruger. In all honesty it shoots the 39 gr. Sierra bullets like they have eyes. We shoot this load out past 500 yards on the dog towns. Two years ago I had a Coyote come wandering into our dog town, he was a one shot kill at just under 350 yards.

Bottom line, for $950.00 you are buying one heck of a good shooting rifle.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member

thanks everyone for the info, i plan on picking one up tonight. it has the right bolt and left port. I&#39;m new to this configuration hopefully it will work out for me. i own three other savage rifles and i love them.

dcloco

Other than the single shot 12 & 112 actions...if possible, all of my rifles would be a right bolt/left port. This just works so well.

Basic Member

i picked up my model 12 last night and all i can say is SWEEEET!! cant wait to shoot it. i got around 80 rounds already loaded that was for my other 204, I&#39;m planning on using them for the barrel break in this weekend weather permitting.

dcloco

Put a touch of lube on the bolt and the rails on the inside of the receiver. Will help smooth things out a touch in the long run.

OH....welcome aboard....now you have to post pics of your groups!!! :)

Basic Member

thanks, if the weather will let me this weekend, i will break in the barrel in and post some pics. i have some loads worked up to try after the break in procedure.

dcloco

Cycle the action if the weather keeps you in. Good practice for cheek weld and dry firing. :)

"Honey, what are you doing?"

"I am practicing cheek weld."

At this point is when the eyes roll....and she checks the "honey do" list....because it just got longer! :) ;D

Basic Member

well it looks like shooting is going to have to wait > i loaded a shell today to make sure that it would chamber and realized it wouldn&#39;t eject. i tried a factory round as well as a empty piece of brass still wouldn&#39;t eject. the cartridge gets hung on the bottom of the ejection port. i called savage and after inspection they said that it has the wrong bolt head installed and i would have to send it to them > the ejection pin on mine is at the 11 O&#39;Clock position when it is supposed to be at the 7 O&#39;Clock position so its ejecting the case downwards instead of upwards. i would expect that a $1000.00 rifle would get a better quality control inspection.

dcloco

Somebody put a left eject bolthead on your rifle....NICE!!!

Basic Member

the rifle is brand new, its a right bolt left port. the guy from savage says its wrong, do you think its right?

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by larr
    the rifle is brand new, its a right bolt left port. the guy from savage says its wrong, do you think its right?
    No...it is wrong. Left port is the loading port....and the right port is the ejector. Loaded round in the left....empty out the right.

Basic Member

Hold it upside down when you eject the rounds then it will be pushing them up :D

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by larr
    No...it is wrong. Left port is the loading port....and the right port is the ejector. Loaded round in the left....empty out the right.
    i don&#39;t have a dual port it is a right bolt left port,there is no port on the right side.it should load on the left and eject on the left. here is a drawing of what Ive got and what savage says i should have. sorry for the bad drawing

2recon

the good news is..Savage is great to deal with,,,the 1st lrpv i got had to go back,,Savage sent me a call tag..had it back in 2wks..fixed..2nd one no problems..they all shoot great..once you find the load..they are hummers

LaurieH

Larr,

I have an lrpv in .204, and yes it shoots very well. In fact I won the UK BR Association &#39;Factory Sporter&#39; class championship this year with the beast. It&#39;s as it came out of the box apart from the addition of a Sinclair forend stabilizer to ride a 3-inch front-rest bag, the rear swivel stud removed to ride the back bag, and a Ken Farrell rail and Sightron 36x42 scope stuck on the top. I haven&#39;t even adjusted the trigger down from the factory set 12-ounce pull - it&#39;s fine for &#39;free recoil&#39; shooting as it is, pinching the trigger and trigger guard between thumb and index finger tips only.

My best non-competition group was just under the 0.2" mark, and the best in competition 0.207", the aggregate for that meeting being in the threes. In fact I was 5th overall that day and beat around 15 competitors with &#39;proper bench guns&#39; - which caused a fair bit of comment about Savage accuracy! This is even better than it sounds as Diggle &#39;A&#39; range where all UKBRA 100yd matches are shot is a sod of a place for switching winds, and wild eddies all over the place. It&#39;s always windy being 1,000 ft up on the side of a range of hills, and members of the UK BR team who&#39;ve shot all over the world tell me it&#39;s one of the trickiest ranges they shoot on.

Brass is fully prepped / neck-turned Norma and Nosler for matches, out of the box R-P and Hornady for other uses. Match bullets are 40gn Berger HPs, 30s, 32s, 35s, 40s from Berger, Nosler, Hornady and Sierra for non-match. Factory Hornady 32 V-Max ammo shot into the half-inch or less at just shy of the advertised 4,100 fps; 40gn V-Max fodder shot into half to three-quarters inch but were around 200 fps down on claimed MVs.

From new, there was very little bore coppering and run-in was quick. Despite what people say about .204, I&#39;ve never had much trouble with coppering, and it will shoot very well after 40-50 rounds without cleaning. After around 500 rounds accuracy fell off and borescope examination said there was a small area ahead of the throat with a muck / copper build-up. Barnes CR10 and a lot of scrubbing got rid of it and groups dropped in size again, but not down to the tiny early levels. However, it still shoots phenomenally well for a factory rifle - I&#39;d no trouble shooting groups under the inch at 200yd last weekend, under three-quarters inch if I got things just right.

Over here, we only see a few lrpv models mostly in .223. This is partly because it&#39;s too heavy for UK varminting which normally needs a &#39;walking rifle&#39;, and also because the importer doesn&#39;t believe that there&#39;s any market for single-shot sporting rifles. We have a lot of Savage competition rifles on our rifle ranges, and they are the rifles to beat in &#39;Factory Sporter&#39; class in 600 and 1,000yd BR and our other long-range precision competitions. There are a fair few 12 F and F/TR rifles in use in F-Class comps too, but the latter don&#39;t have the dominance that your Team savage has in the USA, being mostly used by tyros.

If your lrpv is as good as mine, you&#39;ll be delighted with it!

Best wishes,
    Laurie,
    York, England

Basic Member

thanks, i hope mine shoots as good. its been raining here all weekend so i didn&#39;t get a chance to do any shooting. hopefully savage will let my gunsmith do the work on this rifle.he said he would do the job for $25.00,it seems to me thats cheaper then the shipping costs to savage. when i get to shoot it I&#39;ll post the results.

Basic Member

Larr, you could just swap out the bolt head yourself. There&#39;s a really good step by step article with pictures on the home page. You could do it in 10-15 minutes.

Andrew

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport
    Larr, you could just swap out the bolt head yourself. There&#39;s a really good step by step article with pictures on the home page. You could do it in 10-15 minutes.

Andrew
    you have to be a paid member to get that info.

Basic Member

Sorry, I didn&#39;t notice that you were just a basic user. The $12 is money well spent just for access to the classified section.

Here is a link to what appears to be the exact same directions, but on another sight.

http://www.switchbarrel.com/BOLTHEAD.htm

Andrew

Basic Member

thanks for the info, savage is going to pay my gunsmith to change the bolt head, while he&#39;s doing it he said he will show me how its done. my gunsmith is a very nice guy and a h*ll of a gunsmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast