Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best scope reticle for prairie dogs ?

Basic Member

Best scope reticle for prairie dogs ?

What is the best scope reticle for prairie dogs ?

davidw

Re: Best scope reticle for prairie dogs ?

I like the standard duplex. Zero at 200 with my 223. Use the large part of recticle for inside 100 or out to 250....Works for me...

Joe O

Whatever you like,as long as it is thin enough not to block out a PD @ 500yds.

dcloco

Extra fine.....otherwise the crosshairs cover them up.

lostart

personally I like the zeiss varmint reticle. The leupy varmint hunter is a close second.

Blackwell bikes

Fine cross Hairs would work really well but so would a target dot, either one would be my choice. It depends a lot on what the scope is but there are a massive amount that would work well. Check a couple out pick the one you like.

A_Gamehog

What ever you do don't get the Nikon Monarch "BDC" line of crosshairs. They block out the P-dogs when they lay flat or start running @ 200+ yards. Just any old duplex would surely work but as "Blackwell Bikes" stated the target dot or fine crosshairs are even better.

Blackwell bikes

Gamehog brings up a good point, many of the Holdover reticles including some Mil dots can cover up small targets. I have no experience with them but if i was going for a hold over reticle i would go with a Zeiss/Leupold style varmint reticle.

crunch

Give the Horus line of scopes a look.
    They have First Focal Plane with crosshash in MOA.
    This lets you hold over without having to turn the turrets.

Excellent quality of glass by the way.

A_Gamehog

One more thing, the power of the scope plays an important part of your success also. If you have for example a Weaver 36 power fixed scope

and you call in a running coyote to 50 yards it would be very tough to get him in the crosshairs.

The prairie dogs when you use a large power fixed scope on a high power 22-250> 7MM when you touch the round off the scope moves with

the recoil and you can't see the bullet hit the varmit.

To me the most fun is when you have 2 or 3 buddies out in a P-Dog town taking turns kind of like Golf. One guy shoots and the other 2 watch.

Everybody has fun, but if you can't see the hit in your scope because of recoil you miss out on the entertainment. Your barrel does not overheat also.

I like the 3-12 or 4-16 power scopes from Nikon.

Basic Member

I have used Zeiss and Leupold scopes in duplex, mil dot, and varmint.

Hands down my favorite is the Leupold LR (30 mm tube w side focus) with hunter (not the target) turrets in 6.5x20 with varmint hunter reticle.

I have gotten "lost" after turning dials for a couple of hours in the field, and seen many others do the same. I do not recommend turning elevation and windage dials in the field. The Zeiss or Leupold varmint reticles are great for rapid follow up shots (under 800 yards depending on the caliber). If you are good enough to hit past 800 yards most folks start turn dials.

Any way you go - you will have fun if there are prairie dogs to shoot at!

Keith

Basic Member

Fine crosshairs with tiny dot.

I set my scopes so the turret is at zero at 100 yards and have a drop chart to dial up as I need.

I usually do most of my shooting at about plus 2 MOA.

HM

Basic Member

I forgot to mention that both the Leupold and Zeiss varmint reticles have hold off points built in for windage. Seems like the wind is ALWAYS blowing in prairie dog towns. On a low recoiling caliber (222, 223, 204 Ruger) you can spot your shots and which holdover point in the reticle to use. If you miss you pick a different hold point for you second shot. One you get the range and windage holdover down you are good to go, just use the same hold over point in the reticle to take out all the dogs in that zone.

You will have a better hit ratio with the varmint reticle over a mil dot or duplex.

Keith

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by A_Gamehog
    What ever you do don't get the Nikon Monarch "BDC" line of crosshairs. They block out the P-dogs when they lay flat or start running @ 200+ yards. Just any old duplex would surely work but as "Blackwell Bikes" stated the target dot or fine crosshairs are even better.
    Have you ever looked through one? The "dots" are hollow, and are 2 MOA in diameter. I have two of these scopes, and really like them a bunch.

Kevin

A_Gamehog

I own the Nikon Monarch 6-24 with BDC, I paid 500+ for it 2 years ago. It is mounted on my Savage 22-250 Varmiter. I would say the glass is good, the Reticle is worthless. The 400 yard drop from my 69 Grain Noslers are different than the 400 yard drop from a 180 Grain 30-06. Yet it is a "One size fits all" guesstimating in using the hollow dots. I love Nikon Products just hate this reticle. A friend of mine has a 1/8 reticle. I know that you can send it in and give the drop to an engineer and they custom build X-hairs but you missed my point. The Crosshairs cover the smaller targets @ 100-500 yards. I just like a simple crosshair that allows me to provide the Kentucky windage for the shot.

John Model 10

Mildot, hands down. If you miss, you just play "connect the dots" and pull the trigger. You'll almost always hit after the first or second "sighter". This has worked great for me out to 600 yards with several .223s, so long as wind is not too strong or inconsistent.

Basic Member

My vote goes for the mil dots. It's easy to hold two dots over and one up, or any other combination.
    I have used cheap BSA's and a 12-42 Nightforce Benchrest scope. The all work well.

Terry

Basic Member

With a Bushnell Elite 4200 series...

Would you go with a MX or Mil-Dot reticle for prairie dogs ?

Are the Bushnell Mil-Dots so big they would cover up a flat lying prairie dog ?

tenwalker

I have 3 Leupold LR's with the Varmint reticle and they are great. But my favorite is my Nightforce with the NP-R2 reticle. But non of them are any good unless do lots of practice at home before you head to the dog towns.

A_Gamehog

MillDots for the scope,

If I had to do it all again it would be a MillDot 4X16 or 5-20 scope.

The best I've looked thru $$$$$ is the Nightforce...Milldot, if money is no object.

Captain Finlander

Quote Originally Posted by halfmile
    Fine crosshairs with tiny dot.

I set my scopes so the turret is at zero at 100 yards and have a drop chart to dial up as I need.

I usually do most of my shooting at about plus 2 MOA.

HM
    +1 fine cross hair with dot. My latest variant is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and works surprisingly well at all ranges. +1 again on the others being to busy and block the target to much.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer

With a Bushnell Elite 4200 series...

Would you go with a MX or Mil-Dot reticle for prairie dogs ?

Are the Bushnell Mil-Dots so big they would cover up a flat lying prairie dog ?

I would go with the mil-dot on a 4200 because they have a unique feature most shooters don't take advantage of. The mildots are relative to 1 mil @12x, and 1/2 mil @ 24x. 1/2 mil equates to 1.8 m.o.a. and at 24X, the dots are approx .5 m.o.a.
    I have found that .5moa is the same size as an adult prairie dogs head at 300 yds. Using the dot as a range finder will tell you if it's 300 or less. I usually sight in for 200 yds and if the dot is not bigger than it's head I just hold center of mass and sent them into air like a rocket.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned

zeiss conquest rapid z reticle nuff said

Basic Member

A German #4 recticle on a sturdy 1X4 power scope. Fine crosshairs and high magnification will get you killed when a big PD bull comes charging out of the sage brush.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

TBass

I like running a fine reticle in a first focal plane scope... although pricey, I do love my Schmidt & Bender P4 fine reticle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast