Thread: Screw tightening for H-S Precision stock on 12 LRPV

coyotewallace

Screw tightening for H-S Precision stock on 12 LRPV

Could someone tell me in what order I should tightening the 3 action screws on my Model 12 LRPV? and also how much in in./lbs for each?... thanks in advance

coyotewallace

Re: Screw tightening for H-S Precision stock on 12 LRPV

ttt

dmack

I’d call H-S and see what they say. I called about the standard SA and was told 65 in/lbs.

coyotewallace

Thx dmack,
    I just talked with tech. support at HS and was told 65 in./lbs as well. They said for the action screws do the one closes to the forend first to 65 then do the rear one to 65. at that point you only finger tight the middle

max

There is an excellent article on this subject on page 6 of this section submitted by bigedp51 on Nov.22. I,ve tried it and it works great on my LRPV.

Savage Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by max
    There is an excellent article on this subject on page 6 of this section submitted by bigedp51 on Nov.22. I,ve tried it and it works great on my LRPV.
    I can't seem to find that article. Do you know what the title of the post is?

LawmanSales

Quote Originally Posted by coyotewallace
    Thx dmack,
    I just talked with tech. support at HS and was told 65 in./lbs as well. They said for the action screws do the one closes to the forend first to 65 then do the rear one to 65. at that point you only finger tight the middle
    I would think almost the opposite for the three screw Target actions, 65 for the front two and less on the rear tang screw.

LawmanSales

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by max
    I can't seem to find that article. Do you know what the title of the post is?
    I don't think I would call this an article, but here it is:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,37340.0.html

coyotewallace

Here is a good read... Max suggested the posts that bigedp51 posted. I am going to give this a try, sounds right to me.
    read this an see what you think:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...rque-settings/

max

Coyotewallace and Savagehunter. That's the one that I was referring to. Worked really well for me and I think that Savage's team captain would know what's best.

coyotewallace

Max,
    I am going to try it this way as it looks right to me...thx for the link

Chuck

Savage Hunter

Thanks guys. Just ordered a LRPV yesterday, so this link will be very helpful.

coyotewallace

SH,
    So what cal did you order? awesome rifle! I got the 22-250 1-9" factory set up an then I added my first barrel a McGowen 6.5x47L 1-8". went with a Ziess Conquest 6.5x20x50 and I'm really like this setup. first Savage ever and still in the learning curve but it's looking good so far

coyotewallace

This Works!! Just got back from the range and after trying it I'm sold...I started @ 20 in/lbs on the front and middle,moved up 5 on both then 5 more so a total of 30 in/lbs and I set the rear one at 5 in/lbs to start,shot 4 rounds at the top left dot then moved the rear screw to 10 in/lbs and shot 3 rounds at middle dot and then tighten the rear screw to 15 in/lbs and shot 3 rounds at bottom right dot...ammo was all the same of h380 an a 142g smk out of a 24" 6.5x47L McGowan barrel shot at 200 yards and a .037" group. here is a picture of the target(paper sucks but you get the idea
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Coyotewallace/IMAG0159.jpg[/img]

Savage Hunter

Ordered the DBM variant, .223, 1-9" twist. Right port, right bolt. I doubt it'll be as accurate as the single shot variants, as the action won't be as stiff, but I suspect it'll still be very accurate. I can't wait to get my paws on it. Should be arriving a day or two before Crhistmas. I wonder if I should wrap it up? :D