Thread: Best model of Savage 17HMR for small game?

Cam

Best model of Savage 17HMR for small game?

I want everyone's opinions of which model Savage 17 HMR is the best, out of the box w/o mods, for small game hunting. Weight, handling, shooting off hand, etc..., which is the best? Thanks,

Cam

jawjadawg

Re: Best model of Savage 17HMR for small game?

Well...how big a boy are ya?

I ask because what is best for one person probably won't be the best for someone else. I have the heavy barrel laminate stock version. It is super accurate, but it can get heavy so it probably wouldn't be the best for a kid or a woman. Being able to hold a gun steady for the shot is more important than any factory feature, in my opinion. This is a gun owner's cliche, but it really is true that you've got to hold them all to see which one feels best to you. They will all shoot great if you do your part.

Cam

I'm talking about hunting, rough terrain, covering 5-6 miles at a minimum. I don't think I want a bull barrel. Is there anyone here hunting in the field, not from a bench, with a 17HMR? Unfortunately none of the local gun shops have a Savage in stock, they will order one for me, but do not have one for me to put my hands on.

Cam

Basic Member

I have a LH Savage model 93R in 17HMR. This gun has a Birch stock and a fairly heavy barrel that measured .795" at the muzzle. It weights exactly 8 lb, 5 oz loaded with a Mueller 4.5X14 scope. It's a bit on the heavy side but not too bad if you carry it with a good sling. I would like to have a dollar for every Prairie Dog that this gun has taken.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

rez187

your making a mistake if you dont get the bull/heavy barrel. realy in the 17hmr its not that much more weight but the payoff is worth it. i too as a lefty have the bull/laminate left handed, my dad has the thumbhole lefty and they shoot verry well. my son has an older non accutrigger ss bull with pepper laminate. the bvss or the btvss are the two i would look at if i were you. i shoot about 5 to 600 rounds a year of hmr and like you hunt with mine. the hmr is a great round that i consistently shoot out to 300 yards at small game and hit with a good percentage, you will find that the biggest downfall is that wind pushes those tiny pills all over the place, but man what a blast it is to shoot! whatever you choose stay with savage and you cant go wrong.
    ps i dont mean to say savage is the only company with a good hummer but unless you wanna step up to the big plate with a cooper or other high end gun savage are great!

I guess if you are carrying it around then the BRJ would be a nice carrying rifle... And with the fluted barrel it takes a bit of weight out of the Bull.

I have a TR Stock for my Hm2 and it shoulders REALLY nicely and loves the Prone...

woodsman416

I have a 93 with a bull barrel and a wood stock. It's no big deal to carry it all day while small game hunting. Of course I have a comfortable sling on it.

bubbinator

Cam- I know this is a little late-but is there a Dick's Sporting Goods store near you? I Got my very accurate Savage M9317HMR from them, HB/Thumbhole stock for $299. They have some good sales and register for the discounts and you will get 20% off coupons frequently.

Pector55

I use the Savage 93r17 that came with a 3-9 scope, fluted barrel and green synthetic stock. I hunt archery and rifle for deer and work full time but still had time to take out 32 squirrels this year.
    I would like to replace the synthetic stock but I tend to lay the stock across logs, rocks, and anything else that may present itself as a base so I have not changed it. It may feel good and look good but there are no points for style when hunting. It's the game you can take (ethically) that matters. This year was the first I have ever used the 17 HMR and I won't go back. The new rule for squirrels is, "if you can see it, you should be able to hit it." So far, my longest measured shot on a squirrel is 78 yds from a treestand.

The beauty of the 17 is the if you hit center mass on a squirrel, there is less smell during cleaning. The 17 will open things up and blow the stinky parts out the other side. Just don't hit the legs or you lose the meat and some squirrels are tough enough to keep going.