Thread: Group for evaluation. . . UPDATED 12/14/10

Basic Member

Group for evaluation. . . UPDATED 12/14/10

Hi all,

Here's the pre-bedding group:

[img width=562 height=450]http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/cowboyarcher/Photo_111710_004.jpg[/img]

What does this group tell you about the rifle? I've always wanted to figured out exactly what stringing is caused by.

I have a hunch on this one, but I will keep it to myself for a while, so as not to bias opinions. Everything is solid though, scope, screws, etc.

And here is the post-bedding group:

[img width=270 height=450]http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/cowboyarcher/100_4846.jpg[/img]

What do you guys think is keeping these groups opened up like this?

Adam
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

1Shot

Re: Group for evaluation. . .

...Wind or lite load...

Basic Member

No wind (oddly enough) at 100 yards. . . 22-250 and 45 grn JHP's, factory Winchester ammo.
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

1Shot

...lol... factory fodder it does'nt like... :)

Captain Finlander

hot barrel or cold barrel string?

1Shot

..I would go with heat also if it was fired in a string...shots are # but I can not read them..If it was reloads, I'ld still say powder..But then again I'm not behind the trigger..So take it for what it's worth..

Basic Member

It's a SS fluted factory varmint barrel. . .

Would contact with the barrel channel cause this? It sits in an unbedded Duramaxx and has the typical right side contact, pretty hard actually.

Captain Finlander

Yes, contact with the barrel will cause this type of patterning.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander
    So is the contact causing the action to shift in it's bed, or just weird vibrations, causing the stringing?

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher
    So is the contact causing the action to shift in it's bed, or just weird vibrations, causing the stringing?
    ..+1 vibrations..

Yup, just changing the harmonics of the barrel. Although a dirty barrel will do this also.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dcloco

Rifle resting on a bag that does not capture the forearm correctly and/or not having the rear bag capturing the rear of the stock will also do this.

Don't have the correct front bag?....shoot off a bipod.

Need an extremely cheap set of bags? Garage sale jeans of...well....TALL women with slender legs. (don't laugh!!)

You can make four to eight bags out of women's jeans...depending on their height. Cut the legs into for or eight pieces (12 to 14" length works best), sew one end closed (double stitch it), insert a doubled up plastic grocery bag, fill with sand, tape the bag shut with duct tape, double stitch the end of the bag....PUT YOUR NAME ON THE JEAN BAG IN PERMANENT MARKER....and start using.

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

Need an extremely cheap set of bags? Garage sale jeans of...well....TALL women with slender legs. (don't laugh!!)

You can make four to eight bags out of women's jeans...depending on their height. Cut the legs into for or eight pieces (12 to 14" length works best), sew one end closed (double stitch it), insert a doubled up plastic grocery bag, fill with sand, tape the bag shut with duct tape, double stitch the end of the bag....PUT YOUR NAME ON THE JEAN BAG IN PERMANENT MARKER....and start using.
    I hereby award you the Martha Stewart award for shooting excellence :D

About the group, How quickly was it shot? Can you number the shots. I have done rapid fire groups and documented POI shifts and change in barrel temp. and tried to correlate these with their effect on the accuracy nodebecause I had nothing better to do, the results were similar.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by NefariousD
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

I hereby award you the Martha Stewart award for shooting excellence :D

About the group, How quickly was it shot? Can you number the shots. I have done rapid fire groups and documented POI shifts and change in barrel temp. and tried to correlate these with their effect on the accuracy nodebecause I had nothing better to do, the results were similar.
    LOL!

Basic Member

If I had to put an order to them, from left to right, it would be: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1

I was shooting off of a bi-pod and rear bag, in the snow and sage brush, as fast as I could get them cycled in a single shot fashion.

Captain Finlander

That is kind of important information and with it I am going to say it is human error. Seeings how it is a lateral string you might be pulling the trigger ILO squeezing it.

Russ

+1

Basic Member

That is kind of important information and with it I am going to say it is human error. Seeings how it is a lateral string you might be pulling the trigger ILO squeezing it.
    Are you saying I cannot shoot?? Just kidding.

I was curious if such a string typically came from human influences, or from an equipment issue. Guess it could be some of each.

When I get my AR together (gotta have a rifle ready for coyotes) I'll take the time and bed the action right and try to post another group.

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher
    If I had to put an order to them, from left to right, it would be: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1

I was shooting off of a bi-pod and rear bag, in the snow and sage brush, as fast as I could get them cycled in a single shot fashion.
    Looks very similar to mine but mine went down and left. My groups that is

oldguy

Never had much faith in producing consistent groups with a bi-pod.

Basic Member

Added pics of a group shot in similar conditions after bedding and floating the barrel.

Any more thoughts?

1Shot

Re: Group for evaluation. . . UPDATED 12/14/10

...Time to change ammo...

bodywerks

Re: Group for evaluation. . . UPDATED 12/14/10

If you are not at least shooting match ammo you're wasting your time. But what you really need to be doing is your own reloads. And if I read correctly the ammo is Winchester? I don't know of a single round of Winchester that can drive tacks. Go with federal match if you can find it or at least hornady. Or go spend $100 on a press and some dies and get to work ...