Thread: Berger 168VLD Seating Data

DIESEL TECH

Berger 168VLD Seating Data

I found a lot of info on "VLD" Berger's can anybody help me with this issue, Some say to load them jammed to the lands and other say .010 off the lands has anybody tryed this out. I am loading 168gr Berger's in .308 for 300yd event and the low drag type seem to do a little better at 300-600yds. My sierras like .010-.015 jump. This thing of loading bullets in the lands is new to me. It looks like a bullet can get pulled out of the case and fill the trigger full of powder? I would like to get these bullets shooting, But when I tryed them at .015 off the lands they did not show me anything, My sierras where better at 100yds. I am looking the most accurate bullet and load I can get with this 12 twist 30'' savage.

bwaites

Re: Berger 168VLD Seating Data

Bergers can be a little picky, but once you find the sweet spot, they are awesome. This is my 7mm WSM shooting 180 grain Bergers at 200 yards. The 2 shots on the top and right were the sighters, after moving to 200 from 400.

There are 6 bullets in that group hole:

Berger says this:

The quickest way to find this sweet spot is to load ammo at four different COAL. Start with a COAL that allows the bullet to touch the rifling. The next COAL needs to be .040 off the lands. The third COAL needs to be .080 off the lands. The last COAL needs to be .120 off the lands. One of these COAL will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. It has been reported that the VLD bullets don’t group as well at 100 yards but get better as the bullet “goes to sleep” at further ranges. We have learned that by doing the four COAL test you will find a COAL where the VLD bullets will group well at 100 yards. Once the COAL that shoots best is established you can tweak +/- .005 or .010 to increase precision or you can adjust powder charges and other load variables. Frankly, those who do the four COAL test usually are happy with the results they get from this test alone.

Hope that helps!

Basic Member

I helped a buddy put a 26" Shilen 308W barrel on a rifle. Worked up a load with 168 VLD Hunting Bergers with IMR4895. His definitely liked to be at the jam and even a little in it. He is shooting them hot, but it is one of the best shooting 308s I have seen. He is sub 0.5 MOA all the time. Surprisingly the throat on this barrel allows him to seat at/in the lands and still fit the magazine. Want find this in a factory chambering. The down side is that he had a bullet stick in the barrel and got powder everywhere a few weeks back on a pig hunt. Had him push them back another 0.003" with seater and all is good.

My experience is the most VLDs like to be at or in the jam.

Luck, Tim

DIESEL TECH

Yes that is what I was told also, Is it any danger of seating them tight in the chamber? This is a 12F T/R so there is no mag to worry about.

Basic Member

Only issue is if you don't fire the round. Then you might put the put out of the case when you try to remove the round. If you run pretty of neck tension you might get away with it. Luck, Tim

dsculley

I will be working up some loads for my 7mm rem mag soon. I will let you know how they work out. I will be using Berger's method of finding a sweet spot with a jump.

bigngreen

I use the Berger method for finding the sweet spot or on guns with long throats like a Weatherby I go to mag length. Once I find the range it likes I thin load in .010 length increments in the range that it liked to find the spot on depth. All I load for is hunting rifles so I don't like jamming them. So far the Berger has been the most accurate bullet I've loaded in every gun I've used them in, touchy yes but man they shoot!

DIESEL TECH

OK guys I did some testing on my 12F with 168 Berger's VLD and I shot 5 shot group after the barrel was fouled and it shot the best with the bullet just touching the lands, I tryed jammed, just touching, .020 off, .030 off it just got worst. My gun loves them Berger's touching the lands. It was better at 200yds then 100yds. Where I was at I could not shot any passed 200yds I would like to see what they would do at 600yds. Do you guys thank it would be stable at 1000yds with the 12 twist? I have never shot them ranges I would like too.

Basic Member

Friends don't let Friends shoot 168's at a grand
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

bwaites

If it was better at 200 than 100 it would seem to indicate that they are stabilized by the 1-12 twist.

Most people seem to find that touching or just into the lands is the secret for the VLD's, but following the Berger guidelines helps with that. I do know one guy who found that .025 was spectacular, so the rule isn't hard and fast.

I also know one guy who shoots a RUM .300 who found that .120 was best, and he says he shoots 1 hole groups at 300 yards so its hard to argue! He took a witnessed open ground caribou last year at more than 700 yards with a dead right there shot using the hunting VLD's, so I tend to believe him.

Its all about the rifle!

Bill

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by earl39
    Friends don't let Friends shoot 168's at a grand
    SMK agree. Berger VLDs 168s will make. Higher B.C. The 175s are better in both. I have switched to the 175 SMK and have a bunch to burn up before I go to the 175 Berger VLD. Tim