Thread: Scale & Despenser Upgrade

Basic Member

Scale & Despenser Upgrade

Been loading with entry level powder dispenser and scale. Getting good results if every load is weighed. Check every case when working up new loads. Would like a dispenser that is more precise on multiples, this one does two the same and varies after that. (Need to get a trickler too).

Would like to upgrade to a better powder dispenser and scale, this one is an old balance beam. Am not a competition shooter, don't need top line but need to upgrade.

Nothing off the shelf here, will have to order sight unseen so need suggestions.

Am adding progressive press for production but will continue hand loads for bench shooting.

82boy

Re: Scale & Despenser Upgrade

What is wrong with an "Old balance beam" scale? They are still the best thing since sliced bread. Most of the top notch competition shooters use this and that is all they swear by. I use a cheap plastic Lyman, it works just as good as my top of the line RCBS 10/10, and cost 1/4 of the price.

What is wrong with your old powder measure? if your going to use a trickler does it have to be super accurate each throw? I found that placing a baffle (= a big washer) in a powder measure and wiping them down with a drier sheet, makes a world of differences. The best lower cost multi function powder measure I have ever found is a Lyman 55. I would even say the LEE perfect powder measures does a good enough job, it works just as good as the higher dollar measure's. If you want the best buy a Harrell's.

Basic Member

nothing wrong with a balance beam scale. the only thing a digital scale will do is read out faster and that depends upon the scale. as for powder dispenser i don't know of any that will throw to 1/10 of a grain every time when using stick powder. if you use ball powder most will hold a + or - 1/10 if set up right. i will leave it up to those that use the high dollar ones to point you to ones that are easy to adjust. i use rcbs and while it throws a consistant charge with ball powder it is a little touchy to get adjusted.
    Gary

dad-gum-it Patrick you got in ahead of me... guess i need to learn to type faster
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Blueovalbandit

I use a hornady powder dispenser with the micrometer adjuster. The trick is.... head down with the misses to the local "novelty" shop buy a new vibrator and duct tape it to the dispenser . Works wonders, helps the powder settle and keeps things very consistent for me usually only have to trickle 0.1 gr maybe 0.2gr but about 30% hit dead on, this will also help greatly with progressive consistency. Any vibrating objects work, the less conspicuous the better as you wouldn't want any of your buddies to see a purple rabbit strapped to your reloading bench it might create some awkward moments.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalbandit
    The trick is.... head down with the misses to the local "novelty" shop buy a new vibrator and duct tape it to the dispenser ... Any vibrating objects work, the less conspicuous the better as you wouldn't want any of your buddies to see a purple rabbit strapped to your reloading bench it might create some awkward moments.
    Well I will say that is thinking out side the box, i can see how that would work. I can also think of other uses for it to, like filling sand in a sand bag. I am just afraid I would be too embarrassed to pick one up. :)

dsculley

One of my hunting buddies helped me get started reloading. He has an RCBS balance scale and a digital scale. He offered to give me the digital scale as he only uses the balance scale. He does not use a powder thrower either. He uses a spoon to dispense the powder into the powder tray on the balance scale. He can do this almost as fast as I can throw the powder with my Lee Perfect Powder Measure and trickle in the last few tenths of a grain. If I take my time and really work on the adjustments, the Lee will throw the correct amount most of the time. I still weigh all loads with my balance scale.

RustyW

I use Hornady, RCBS, & LEE. I actually like the Lee PPM for 3031, 4895 etc. Pardon the mess, trust me it's a controlled chaos.. I use a vibrating razor to settle powder in the hopper. [img width=600 height=450]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/RWoolever/Reloadingbench004.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

My rcbs scale was pretty beaten up, this was an old press with equipment we refurbished. The front counter weight had been bent, sometime binds, and the 10th grain was bent badly, is still sloppy. Had intended to replace it with a new balance beam of some kind. Don't like the digitalis. This Lee dispenser is ok with ball powders, it tends to chop and bind with the longer sticks.

On the washer/spacer, do you use a flat washer about the dia of the hopper?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed
    My rcbs scale was pretty beaten up, this was an old press with equipment we refurbished.
    Call RCBS, I bet you a dollar they will take it back and fix it free of charge. RCBS is THE BEST company to deal with on customer service. This is one reason 90% of my dies are RCBS, that and they make a great product to boot.

This Lee dispenser is ok with ball powders, it tends to chop and bind with the longer sticks.
    Get use to it, all powder measures do about the same thing.

Don't like the digitalis.
    Not sure if your asking why no one has stated a digital scale, or that you don't like digitalis. I find that Digital scale work OK for weighing brass, but they can be plagued with problems. Things such as Light, temperature, power supplies, heating and air conditioning turning on and off, people walking across the floor, and other things will mess them up.

On the washer/spacer, do you use a flat washer about the dia of the hopper?
    Yup, it just lays at the bottom, and limits the amount of powder that sits on top of the working parts of the measure. What you want it something that is like a fender washer, it will fit tight against the sides of the hopper, and has a hole about the size of one of your fingers in diameter. It may be hard to find something that is an exact fit, unless you go to a fasenall or some place like that, but you should be able to make one.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy

Don't like the digitalis.
    Not sure if your asking why no one has stated a digital scale, or that you don't like digitalis. I find that Digital scale work OK for weighing brass, but they can be plagued with problems. Things such as Light, temperature, power supplies, heating and air conditioning turning on and off, people walking across the floor, and other things will mess them up.

I use an rcbs 750 digital and have had no problems with it, BUT i reload in a small closet so i don't have all the stuff Patrick pointed out going on in there. Just one old fashion light bulb and one plugin.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

dcloco

The auto dispensers are only accurate to 1.5 tenths, at best.

I use an Acculab 123 scale. Works just as fast as the auto dispensers.

Cover Dog

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalbandit
    The trick is.... head down with the misses to the local "novelty" shop buy a new vibrator and duct tape it to the dispenser ... Any vibrating objects work, the less conspicuous the better as you wouldn't want any of your buddies to see a purple rabbit strapped to your reloading bench it might create some awkward moments.
    Well I will say that is thinking out side the box, i can see how that would work. I can also think of other uses for it to, like filling sand in a sand bag. I am just afraid I would be too embarrassed to pick one up. :)
    Well I think I could muster up the courage to walk in and buy one, but I would be worried that hunting buddies would see it on my reloading bench and kindly back out of any future hunts.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog
    Well I think I could muster up the courage to walk in and buy one, but I would be worried that hunting buddies would see it on my reloading bench and kindly back out of any future hunts.
    :)