Thread: 30 cal - ONE bullet

Basic Member

30 cal - ONE bullet

A very brief background first…

After many joyous years of hunting and rifle ownerships, I have finally concluded reducing my rifle battery to 3 rifles in 3 cartridges.
    1. 6.5 Creed for Target work & Coyote
    2. 30-06 – “middle rifle” for ALL Deer / Black Bear / MEDIUM sized game.
    3. 35 Whelen for Elk & Moose. Africa trip is still on my bucket list. BTW…FWIW…$ donations gladly accepted.

Yes, I know, the 30-06 is entirely capable of handling all those tasks…and do it well. No fun in owning only 1 rifle though.

2 quick things...1) While not an expert by any means...I have over the yeara accumulated a sizable data base on the 30-06 cartridge. 2) Yeah, the Creed might handle MED game tasks but...when it comes to terminal energies...I strongly prefer what I call "insurance" on game. The 30-06 provides more insurance AND confidence.

Here’s my question. For this middle rifle and all the Medium sized game mentioned above…based on your personal experience…do you have a favorite 30 caliber bullet (one) that has worked well up close AND out to “ethical” hunting distances beyond 400 yards? The rifle, glass and shooter are capable. The bullet is the question.

Thoughts, opinions and experiences all welcome.

Thanks.

Team Savage
    Sierra's 180 grain gameking, product #: 794242.

Quote Originally Posted by 390fe View Post
    Sierra's 180 grain gameking, product #: 794242.
    Agreed, step up to the 200 gr Gameking and you get a lot more energy.... your mileage may vary. I would use a different bullet for a big brown though.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thank you Gentlemen.

Robinhood.......you don't need me to tell you that you are 100% correct on the 200 gr GK, Hot-Cor, Partition, Swift. Woodleigh etc. Fortunately...my Whelen has those bases covered nicely. :-)

My go-to hunting bullet for .30 caliber is the Nosler 165gr Partition, with the 165gr AccuBond being a close second. Both have shot great in every rifle I've ever loaded them for. Should be more than sufficient for black bear as well with proper shot placement. If a 170gr pill from a .30-30 will do the job on black bears, I'm sure the 165gr at .30-06 velocities will have no trouble putting them down.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage

In the 80s and early 90s when loading for 30-06 and 7RM my go to bullets for anything bigger than deer were the 180gr and 160gr Partitions respectively. Just punching paper with my own cast boolits these days, but, if I were to step in the woods again, my choice would be either the AccuBond or AccuBond Long Range.

I always like the 150gr pills for this cal, it shoots little flatter and still has the energy at longer ranges
    Too many guns, Not enough time!!!!!!