Thread: 100 ys load for bolt .223.

100 yd load for bolt .223.

Getting down to the nitty gritty on a decent 100 yd load for the Savage 110 .223 20" 1-9 bull barrel. Scope is NF Competition 15-55x52. Brass used is new weighed Starline with 1 gn segregation. Cold clean bore 10 rnd group was shot with 23 gn Varget pushing same 73 gn Berger bullet for an initial cold clean bore .45. After each group was shot a dry patch was pulled through the bore and cooler run for 5 minutes. Me thinks the .2 moa final load will do nicely on the fly swatter challenge. Shot off a front rest with rear bunny bag. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73 Berger Varget ladder..jpg   110 223.jpg   Barrel cooler..jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    My 1:9 wouldn't shoot the 73gr bullets. Also didn't like the Varget with a 69gr SMK.

Refining my 223 load ladder for the 73 gn Berger and Varget in Startline brass. Will be pulling a couple hundred bullets that were loaded with 23 gn now that I have taken the time to see the load was not refined enough. I do get impatient and tend to hop on one when it is close. 23. gn was a consisntent .45 moa load and simply adding another half gn brought it to a .2. New ladder will center around the 23.5 gn load and see what appears. For a 100 yd target, 1/4" dots make a great poa and keeping them in a 3 ring binder helps for future analysis. Keeping up with changes in variables gives us plenty to think about. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Load ladder.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    My 1:9 wouldn't shoot the 73gr bullets. Also didn't like the Varget with a 69gr SMK.
    That's funny. Varget has become my go to powder. I do keep plenty of others on the shelf, TAC, 223 CFE, 8208, BLC-2 and many others but Varget has worked best for a day of shooting. I find it much more consistent as the rifle chamber warms where others seem to vary considerable. May just be my technique, but Varget works for me.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    NF1E,

Great results with the 23.5 gr load.
    My 12 FV .223 likes Varget and 73 gr bullets, as I already reported to you.

Interestingly, the ELD-M 73s seem to perform just slightly better than the Bergers in my rifle, but I have always have had trouble finding the perfect jump to get the best performance from Bergers, even in other calibers, not just the 73s in the .223. But then again, I find that the ELD-Ms also have a sweet spot, but it seems to be easier to find with the ELD-Ms.
    I've gotten great results with the ELD-Ms and Varget (averaged 0.219 for 12 groups seated at 2.36s) but that performance dropped to 0.25s when I seated them in the 2.34s, and dropped off to the .30s when I seated them out close to the lands. All were loaded for the exact same Exit Time so only the seating depth was the variable.
    Learned my lesson - when something really works, don't mess with it.

Keep up the excellent shooting.

One of my problems is not accepting well enough. I get a kick out of forging ahead. Most of my loading for bolt rifles in just off the lands or some even touching and a bit of jamb.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Varget is temperature insensitive, just about the least sensitive of any powder I have found, (0.034 fps per deg. F.) so it is no surprise you have few problems with temperature.
    I, too, find Varget is one of the most accurate powders with bullets in the 60 grain to 77 grain range in my .223s and also performs well with my .308s and my .22-250s with all bullet weights.
    H4895 and H4350 are also temperature insensitive, about 0.064 fps per deg. F.

In comparison, the VV powders like N140 and N540 are about 0.8 fps per deg. F. They perform well, but I am very cognizant of the temperature forecasts when I load with them.
    Most of the older powders in the same speed range are more like 1.24 fps per deg. F. Again, I am careful to plan for the temperature forecasts when I load with them, especially when I am loading near Pmax, to make sure that I don't get overpressure when the temperature is warmer than forecast.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    That's funny. Varget has become my go to powder. I do keep plenty of others on the shelf, TAC, 223 CFE, 8208, BLC-2 and many others but Varget has worked best for a day of shooting. I find it much more consistent as the rifle chamber warms where others seem to vary considerable. May just be my technique, but Varget works for me.
    I burned through a whole lb. using three different 69gr bullets and in my Savage model 12 none shot as well as a Match Burner with Benchmark.

No doubt. Personally I enjoy coming up with different loads for each of my rifles. Benchmark top shelf center right next to the Varget and RE-15 is a nice backup for my disciplines. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powders..jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Depending on how much work I can get this summer I am hoping to rebarrel my model 11 with a new Shilen 7.5 twist 223

Now with the 75 year mark in the rear view mirror, I am pleased to have worked for over 60 years and always put a part of my earnings away for retirement. Nice to have that fund to draw upon when desired.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    Now with the 75 year mark in the rear view mirror, I am pleased to have worked for over 60 years and always put a part of my earnings away for retirement. Nice to have that fund to draw upon when desired.
    Just past 70 in March. I still work a PT job as an RO at a local outdoor range. I enjoy the work, the people, the atmosphere and the extra spend money it puts in my pocket. This supports my habit/hobby. Only this year the range is supposed to be undergoing major upgrades that was once scheduled to start last Dec.. So right now we are only open 3 days per week with uncertainty what will come once they actually start.