Thread: .357 Mag Contender carbine scope choice?

.357 Mag Contender carbine scope choice?

Right now I'm working up loads on my new Van Horn .357 Mag 18" barrel and it's wearing a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X scope. That's a scope I've had on a number of different barrels and it's been responsible for a fair number of deer and pigs and is a good 100 yard bench scope. I just don't think I want to use it on that barrel permanently and I'm looking for the best upgrade. That scope isn't particularly bulky but something nice and compact would be the right choice for that rig.

I've got 2-7X32 on a few barrels and it seems like that's the right range for the barrel's capability. I don't want to lose too much magnification because it's so accurate, I could easily do accuracy work out past 100 yard. It's tempting to put something like a 4-12X on it that would let me really wring it out at 200 but that seems impractical. I don't really want to break the bank but wouldn't mind having a somewhat premium scope on this rig. Nothing wrong with a standard Plex type reticle for this chambering but a decent compensating reticle could make it possible to fine-tune the POI at further distances and increase it's effective range. I think my realistic budget is about $300 tops and wouldn't mind keeping it under $200.

Some choices I've considered:
    - I've got a couple of Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X and I really like them. Could find another of those at a reasonable price. For the money, they're probably the best.
    - I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X that I'm borrowing from my brother and should really return one of these days. :) Those are around on Ebay for under $300 and I like the optic.
    - Saw a Mueller 2-7X on Amazon for a decent price and have seen quite good reviews on that one.
    - Saw a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 on Amazon for $117. Don't know anything but the brand name which has a great reputation but this is obviously a budget line.
    - There are always used Leupold scopes for $250 to $300 on Ebay.
    - Ditto used and vintage Burris, Weaver, various Nikon models, etc.

What's out there that I'm not considering? Any strong preferences amongst the pistol-round carbine shooters here?

Thanks for the input! :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240322_133546.jpg  

Basic Member
    Check out A&A Optics, they are a Certified Vortex Dealer and sell Vortex 'refurbs' at reasonable $. I've used several Muellers, all 'Targets', and have found them satisfactory, however, I have no experience with their hunting scopes. Good luck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    Right now I'm working up loads on my new Van Horn .357 Mag 18" barrel and it's wearing a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X scope. That's a scope I've had on a number of different barrels and it's been responsible for a fair number of deer and pigs and is a good 100 yard bench scope. I just don't think I want to use it on that barrel permanently and I'm looking for the best upgrade. That scope isn't particularly bulky but something nice and compact would be the right choice for that rig.

I've got 2-7X32 on a few barrels and it seems like that's the right range for the barrel's capability. I don't want to lose too much magnification because it's so accurate, I could easily do accuracy work out past 100 yard. It's tempting to put something like a 4-12X on it that would let me really wring it out at 200 but that seems impractical. I don't really want to break the bank but wouldn't mind having a somewhat premium scope on this rig. Nothing wrong with a standard Plex type reticle for this chambering but a decent compensating reticle could make it possible to fine-tune the POI at further distances and increase it's effective range. I think my realistic budget is about $300 tops and wouldn't mind keeping it under $200.

Some choices I've considered:
    - I've got a couple of Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X and I really like them. Could find another of those at a reasonable price. For the money, they're probably the best.
    - I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X that I'm borrowing from my brother and should really return one of these days. :) Those are around on Ebay for under $300 and I like the optic.
    - Saw a Mueller 2-7X on Amazon for a decent price and have seen quite good reviews on that one.
    - Saw a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 on Amazon for $117. Don't know anything but the brand name which has a great reputation but this is obviously a budget line.
    - There are always used Leupold scopes for $250 to $300 on Ebay.
    - Ditto used and vintage Burris, Weaver, various Nikon models, etc.

What's out there that I'm not considering? Any strong preferences amongst the pistol-round carbine shooters here?

Thanks for the input! :)
    In my opinion, the old Burris 2-7 compact scopes are just about perfect for carbines. They're short, light, and the perfect power range. I keep an eye peeled for used ones on GB & fleabay. I have a few and love them. Even better when you can find one with a Ballistic plex reticle. If you can find one, snag it, I promise you'll like it for that application.

I had a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on a 30/30 Carbine and it was fantasticly clear and the BDC reticle was useful. They can be had for under $200.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    I had a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on a 30/30 Carbine and it was fantasticly clear and the BDC reticle was useful. They can be had for under $200.
    My first Vortex was an early Diamondback model in 4-12. This one had the A/O feature. It came with a 25-35 Contender barrel, and I liked it -- a LOT. I made a number of long shots (long for me, anyway) with that rig, including a double on bobcats at 272 and 274 yards.

After that, I had a couple more Diamondbacks, including another 4-12 but without the AO. Glass-wise, they fell somewhere between the Vari-X IIs and Vari-X IIIs that I had then -- and cost much less.

Basic Member
    I also have a Diamondback on my axis (4-16).. Not a bad scope.

For hunting with a .357mag I'd go to lower power, 2-7x, especiallly if the shots will be shorter (100-200yd).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    My first Vortex was an early Diamondback model in 4-12. This one had the A/O feature. It came with a 25-35 Contender barrel, and I liked it -- a LOT. I made a number of long shots (long for me, anyway) with that rig, including a double on bobcats at 272 and 274 yards.

After that, I had a couple more Diamondbacks, including another 4-12 but without the AO. Glass-wise, they fell somewhere between the Vari-X IIs and Vari-X IIIs that I had then -- and cost much less.
    I do like the Diamondback. My brother gave me one in 3-9X and it quickly became my favorite and lived on my primary Contender rig. I replaced it with another Diamondback in 4-12X with AO and switched the 3-9X to a different barrel. I really like that 4-12X AO. It may be the best rifle scope I own right now and it's definitely my favorite.

I found an older Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X on Ebay and couldn't resist. I paid a reasonable sum but it wasn't exactly bargain basement priced by the time I edged out the nearest bidding competition. Since I've got a 445 Supermag carbine in the mix, I think that's the barrel that will wear the Leupy and the 357 Mag will be well served by the Vortex Crossfire.

Basic Member
    I just came across this post. I bought a used Athlon Talos 3x12 Mil Dot from a local guy this week for $100 that will go on a 10-22. It weighs 16oz and has parallel adjustment. In the reviews I read people who compared it to Vortex commented it was sharper than comparable Vortex scope in the same price point.
    I'll probably buy some rings today and mount it then hit the range tomorrow, hopefully it tracks ok. I wasn't looking for a scope but there it was in the classifieds so I offered to buy it.
    Leupold has really good glass so hopefully it fits the bill for you. I had a VXll on my 7Mag for close to 15 years until I saw a Zeiss on CameralandNY that Doug was discounting and was shocked at how much sharper it was, but that was like comparing apples to oranges.
    Kept it on for a few years and served me well. One day I was talking to my son who said he was on his way to Sportsmans to look at a Vortex for his Tikka 30-06, Crossfire maybe? I talked him out of that since it was his primary hunting rig and from what I have read over the years the Vortex scopes fail to hold zero pretty often when they are bumped. Well off we went and he came home with a Swarovski and my bank account was much lighter.
    At the range I was suprised the Swarovski was brighter than the Zeiss so now that is what resides on the old 7Mag. Hopefully the Leupold has enough eye relief for you as it seemed to drop off quite a bit for me as I increase the power.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I just came across this post. I bought a used Athlon Talos 3x12 Mil Dot from a local guy this week for $100 that will go on a 10-22. It weighs 16oz and has parallel adjustment. In the reviews I read people who compared it to Vortex commented it was sharper than comparable Vortex scope in the same price point.
    I'll probably buy some rings today and mount it then hit the range tomorrow, hopefully it tracks ok. I wasn't looking for a scope but there it was in the classifieds so I offered to buy it.
    Leupold has really good glass so hopefully it fits the bill for you. I had a VXll on my 7Mag for close to 15 years until I saw a Zeiss on CameralandNY that Doug was discounting and was shocked at how much sharper it was, but that was like comparing apples to oranges.
    Kept it on for a few years and served me well. One day I was talking to my son who said he was on his way to Sportsmans to look at a Vortex for his Tikka 30-06, Crossfire maybe? I talked him out of that since it was his primary hunting rig and from what I have read over the years the Vortex scopes fail to hold zero pretty often when they are bumped. Well off we went and he came home with a Swarovski and my bank account was much lighter.
    At the range I was suprised the Swarovski was brighter than the Zeiss so now that is what resides on the old 7Mag. Hopefully the Leupold has enough eye relief for you as it seemed to drop off quite a bit for me as I increase the power.
    I've wondered about the Athlon scopes. And, yeah, some of the Leupold scopes are a little tight when it comes to eye relief. That 445 is a bit of a thumper and jumper so I don't want to be right up on the scope. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post

My sis has the AO version on an Encore 7/08. No complaints. I haven’t seen many of those, but they are nice.

Well, I received the Leupy scope this evening and it looks good. I decided to do a quick comparison just for fun and took a glance through 3 different scopes. It was pretty late into the twilight hour, well after what would be legal shooting time, I'm sure but still plenty of light out.
    The Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X was plenty good enough that you could take a shot at most anything but it was prone to losing the sight picture to glare. The Nikon Prostaff 2-7X was better with more light and clarity and didn't lose the sight picture. The Leupold 2.5-8X easily out-did both scopes. Very clear and steady with a much brighter sight picture.
    Makes me glad I got it but now I'm going to be wanting to upgrade all my rigs and rifles to better optics. :D

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    Makes me glad I got it but now I'm going to be wanting to upgrade all my rigs and rifles to better optics. :D
    Yep...I can relate. When one rig has really nice glass, you want the same for the others as well. Your debit card will be streaming for mercy LOL...