Thread: Savage Sporter 32-20

Team Savage

Savage Sporter 32-20

Hello neighbors,

I just bought a Savage Sporter in 32-20. It is an interesting rifle in one of my favorite calibers. It is an older model and the only holes in the receiver for sights are two holes of different diameters on the top. There are no holes drilled on the side for a side mount. I have a side mount on my Savage 219 so I am somewhat familiar with those.

I have 2 questions for the brain trust here. Any help or opinions are always appreciated.

First, I am happy with iron sights but in the event that I want to mount a scope in the future do I have any options that don't involve drilling more holes?

And second, it is missing the rear action screw in the trigger guard. Numrich is out of stock but I found someone who lists one for a model 23 in 22 LR. Do you think that it will fit?

Again, thanks every one!

Basic Member
    I've mounted several scopes on M23's and was about to do one today! I use one of the Brownell's Universal Dove Tail bases and drill holes in the base to correspond with the two holes on top of the action. I put a scope on my .22 Hornet and am putting one on my .32-20. I then install a vintage scope. These rounds don't kick hard enough so the dove tail holds just fine. The small hole is, I believe, 8x40 and the bigger one a #10, not sure of the thread size!
    BROWNELLS DOVETAIL SCOPE BASE STOCK

Brownell's - blank dovetail scope base stock 1", VINTAGE, NEW, NOS, .22 | eBay This is the one I use.

Try E bay for your parts. savage model 23 parts for sale | eBay

Team Savage
    Thank you very much!

Basic Member
    This place sucks for posting pictures!! PM me your e mail and I'll send you some detailed photos. I'm about to go out and mount the base, pictures always help!!

Team Savage
    Thank you Big Al. I have a couple more questions about the rifle if you don't mind.

Basic Member
    Ask away!!

Team Savage
    I sent a PM with my email address. My question is on the magazine. I think I am missing the magazine retainer. With some googling I may have answered my own question. I am also missing the rear action screw.

Also, I am logging off for a while for some appointments. Thanks again for your help.