Thread: Another Savage Axis light firing pin strike question

Basic Member

Another Savage Axis light firing pin strike question

Hey guys I have a Savage Axis 2 that is light striking primers about 50% of the time. I want to permanently address this issue and be done with it. I saw where one guy said he upgraded his firing pin setup to the old style full length spring. Is that possible? If so would I use a LONG ACTION 110 firing pin? Would you also need to change the bolt handle and cocking piece? While I love Savage the Post 2018 firing pin design is not good, I have fixed the issue in the past by ordering a new spring but this will be the third rifle with the issue and I am growing tired of it. Any real world experience on this issue would be welcomed. Thanks!

The really funny thing is it works fine with my Lapua small primer brass (mostly) but the issue raises its ugly head when I try to shoot Peterson Large Primer brass. Makes little sense to me...

FYI: This is not a headspace issue, I built the rifle and the headspace is tight. It is also not a "drag" issue, the rifle worked perfectly until it didn't.

Caliber: 6mm Creedmoor

Basic Member
    Interesting. Mine was the opposite, fired LR (all brands) fine, SR (Peterson) not so well. I just installed a washer behind the FP spring to give a little more preload and it fixed the problem.

But, maybe the issue is with the Peterson brass (mine is .308)

Basic Member
    I pulled the rifle apart, checked headspace again and made it just a touch tighter but it is fine. Polished firing pin contact areas. Cleaned EVERYTHING mirror shiney. Checked the firing pin protrusion and it is perfect. Same problem... I ordered all new spring and a washer so I will try that when it comes in. Aggravating....

Charlie it could be brass but that would be strange, They are all sized and trimmed the same Peterson and lapua, only difference is the primer size. But it has started doing it with the small primers now also. Who knows.

Team Savage
    May not be a "headspace" (barrel setting) but a brass issue?? All brass not EXACTLY THE SAME?? Only takes a little difference in OAL at the shoulder to get a soft strike.
    If a round FTF, try pulling the bullet out a bit to a JAM and see if it makes a difference. With the bullet set at a jam, it will be held back against the bolt head (with enough neck tension) and can't be pushed forward in the chamber by the firing pin. At this stage in the game, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Won't know till you try.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    One other thing I did to mine was to clean all the bolt parts, including a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Then I lube mine with a dry lube only. While I had it apart I polished all the sliding surfaces as well, especially the FP cocking ramp and pin.

Since then it has worked well with no misfires.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    May not be a "headspace" (barrel setting) but a brass issue?? All brass not EXACTLY THE SAME?? Only takes a little difference in OAL at the shoulder to get a soft strike.
    If a round FTF, try pulling the bullet out a bit to a JAM and see if it makes a difference. With the bullet set at a jam, it will be held back against the bolt head (with enough neck tension) and can't be pushed forward in the chamber by the firing pin. At this stage in the game, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Won't know till you try.
    I thought about doing this, it is a shame though as this is a very accurate rifle (when it shoots) and I know that is going to change it. Nothing to lose though as I cannot depend on it to go boom when hunting now.

Basic Member
    I fixed it. See the before and after primer strike pic. I reamed the firing pin hole true, it had a burr, and put a spacer in the back to add preload. on the main spring. I also added a bearing bolt lift kit while I was in there. I turned .005 of the firing pin stop face and polished the sear and de-burred\polished all the trigger components. I will say it one more time this "new" firing pin design is a POS and Savage should be ashamed, but I love Savage anyway....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240410_165501.jpg  

Basic Member
    Nice fix.

Basic Member
    Have you actually shot it or just popped a few primers? The pic blown up shows a very fine point in the center of the deeper hole.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Have you actually shot it or just popped a few primers? The pic blown up shows a very fine point in the center of the deeper hole.
    That's just because it was a re-fire from a light hit before. I have not shot it yet just popping primers in the shop.