Thread: Rear action screw causing bump fire

Rear action screw causing bump fire

Hi, I am a long time reader but first time poster. I really appreciate all of the knowledge and willingness to share on the forum. I have a 110 ultralight that I have lightened the trigger pull and solved the bump fire on heavy bolt close by shimming with brass washers to eliminate side to side slop. I have shot it this way for two years without issue. My one concern has always been a very sloppy safety switch that occasionally slides to the middle position during recoil and has surprised me by pushing to fire accidentally while carrying in the woods. I read about adjusting the safety screw that has the plastic ball covering to increase pressure on the safety switch and took the rifle out of the stock making the adjustment. The adjustment didn’t help much as that screw seems to only serve as a limit to the safety movement rather than increasing tension and tightening up the movement. When I put the action back in the stock, it now bump fires when I aggressively close the bolt. I did a little investigating and found it only happens when the rear action screw is tightened up. When the rifle is out of the stock I can slam the bolt home without issue and the same when it is in the stock with just the front action screw tightened up. Do you guys have any thoughts about either issue?
    1.) sloppy safety button
    2.) bump firing only when the rear action screw is in
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like the rear of the action isn’t free floated and binding when the action screws are tightened.

With the action screws tight check to see if the rear tang is free floated. If not file or dremel it out lightly till it is. You should be able to slide a dollar bill under it along the sides and rear of the tang.
    Last edited by pdog06; 04-09-2024 at 12:15 PM.

I sanded out the bedding under the tang and the tang is now free floated. I have run this rifle for probably 300 rounds over the last two years without an issue until I just took it apart to adjust the safety set screw. It is still bump firing when the rear action screw is inserted fully but not until then. Any other ideas? I’m at a loss because I didn’t adjust anything else on the trigger from the same settings that have been working and I guess I don’t understand what truly causes the accutrigger to lock up when the bolt is closed so it’s hard to troubleshoot.

Try tightening up the trigger pull spring 1 turn and see if it stops tripping.

Sure the trigger isn’t hitting the stock somewhere? The rear of the trigger is a good place to check.

Basic Member
    The rear of the trigger is touching inside the stock, directly over the rear screw.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I can’t find anyplace where it is making contact above the rear trigger guard screw. I used my calipers to measure the clearance from the tang to that area of the accutrigger assembly and it looks like I have plenty of room down there. I increased trigger pull weight a turn and that stopped the bump firing. Going one turn up from a 2# trigger on a hunting rifle isn’t a big deal. I was just hoping to avoid increasing the weight. Thanks for your responses! This site really is a wonderful resource for a Savage tinkerer.

clearance the high spot over the back trigger guard screw like sharpshooter suggested. you dont want any issues when the rifle is loaded.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I ground down the rear trigger guard screw about 50 thousandths and dug out material in that area to match. When I lightened the trigger pull back up the problem of bump firing only when fully mounted in the stock remained. I set the trigger weight heavier again to solve the issue and am just going to run it there.